Associate Director of Research
- Collaborate with the Director of Research for Data Management to develop and manage NCAA research data collections, including those related to the finances of higher education and college athletics.
- Contribute to turning research on higher education finances and/or other topics into policy through analysis, report writing and presentation.
- Oversee NCAA research data collections and cleaning as assigned by the Director of Research for Data Management.
- Clean, restructure and document data collected from NCAA member institutions or external sources.
- Perform statistical analyses of the data, as needed. Facilitate publication of reports, searchable databases and other data visualization tools.
- Create supplemental committee reports and presentations from the data, and present findings as needed.
- Develop methods to create infographics and searchable or interactive databases.
- Create and manage revisions to interactive databases related to topics such as sport participation/sponsorship, participant and administrative demographics, finances and academic performance.
- Provide data for use in social media and web postings. Work with other NCAA staff to update and enhance data collection forms and data reporting tools.
- Conduct ad-hoc data or policy analysis projects as assigned by the Director of Research for Data Management or Principal Research Scientist.
- Conduct appropriate statistical analyses. Write executive summaries, research reports and generate infographics based on findings.
- Present findings to staff, committees and other groups as required.
- Work with external vendors and consultants to obtain external data that enhance the ability of staff to respond to membership research needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required; Advanced Degree Preferred.
- Master’s degree in psychology, education, finance, economics or related field, with strong statistics and data management skills.
- Doctorate degree in psychology, education, finance, economics or related field preferred.
- Experience collecting, cleaning and analyzing large-scale social science, education or business-related research data.
- Ability to manage large sets of data using statistical software packages such as SPSS, SAS or STATA.
- Advanced knowledge of statistical software packages (e.g., SPSS, SAS or STATA) and database management techniques preferred.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft software such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Access.
- Working knowledge of: Database management techniques and languages (e.g., SQL).
- Research design, including survey and scale design techniques.
- Descriptive and inferential statistical procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills and detail orientation.
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities.
- Ability to work well as a team member.
- Experience creating and manipulating interactive data visualizations using software tools (e.g., Datawrapper, R, Tableau) preferred.
- Five years of experience in social-science, education or business-related research preferred.
- Experience interacting with the public and media regarding research preferred.
- General knowledge of the NCAA and its membership structure preferred.