Laboratory Technician I, Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, Dr. Tony Hunter
Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Under direction, position performs tasks and experiments in support of academic research projects. Responsibilities will include preparation of basic salt solutions, pHing, autoclaving pipette tips and tubes, using sterile technique to prepare competent bacteria stocks, and preparing more complex solutions used in molecular and cell biology techniques. After basic techniques are mastered, this person will be trained to run both protein and DNA gels, do plasmid DNA preps, Western blots and mammalian cell culture. This is a great opportunity for someone who is starting a career in biology!
(100%) Research and Lab Support
- Prepare standard media and solutions.
- Prepare competent bacteria stocks.
- Aid in lab organization.
- Perform weekly inventory of lab supplies.
- Stock and organize incoming lab supplies.
- No professional experience required
- Experience in a laboratory setting
- Ability to use a pH meter
- Ability to measure small volumes using a micropipette
- Undergraduate coursework in biological sciences or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One year of undergraduate coursework.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understands operation of basic lab equipment.
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive functions.
- After initial instruction, ability to follow directions and perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
This position requires constant adjusting focus, grasping, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing, and working inside.