Academic Advisor I
Job location: Boca Raton
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-06-01
Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
The College of Business at Florida Atlantic University seeks scholars who are committed to supporting the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds and to engaging communities underrepresented in higher education. Florida Atlantic University is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In building this environment, we strive to attract students, faculty and staff from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences. Florida Atlantic University embodies a culture of strategic and collaborative community engagement that results in mutual benefit to the institution and the diverse internal and external communities that it serves.
Florida Atlantic University is seeking an Academic Advisor, I, Boca Raton, FL.
With over 30,000 students from all 50 states and over 180 countries, 21 intercollegiate teams, 180 plus degree programs, and an administration that thrives on discovery and excellence, FAU is pushing the boundaries of higher education. Florida Atlantic's faculty and staff are trailblazers and innovators with a passion for finding creative solutions while advancing science, art, and technology in all disciplines. Our work environment is a hub of cultures from across the nation and the world, making FAU a place where collaboration flourishes.
Summary of Responsibilities Include:
- Advise/counsel students on their academic programs, including administering academic policy, updating records for currently enrolled students, facilitating registration, orientation, and graduation certification.
- Assist potential students through the application process starting with the inquiry stage, all the way to course enrollment.
- Coordinate recruiting and facilitate large group presentations for prospective students.
- Work with the Graduate College to coordinate and manage the admission processes i.e., student applications, official transcripts, and residency paperwork, petitions and decisions awards.
- Work closely with the marketing team to prepare advertising materials (catalogs, website, print materials).
- Lead the social media efforts as it pertains to the traditional graduate degrees and recruiting efforts.
- Manage the coordination and delivery of academic support services within the College of Business.
- Resolve problems as they arise.
- Manage schedules and classes for students each term.
- Oversee graduation paperwork and audit for all students.
- Prepare and schedule events for the programs.
- Work closely with the Registrar's office during registration periods.
- Provide general office support if requested in other areas i.e., retention, registration.
- Visit and attend individual college fairs and external companies for recruiting purposes.
- Work on weekends, as needed for orientations and recruiting events.
- Work closely with professors to help facilitate communication with students in an atypical situation.
- Correspond frequently with students by phone and email using strong and professional communication skills (verbal and written).
- Use Microsoft office suite (word, excel, etc.) to organize and track students’ academic progress.
- Utilize degree audit system to advise students toward their degree requirements.
- Strategize and implement student retention initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director or Associate Director.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
● Data entry skills.
● Proficiency in English and in MS Office Suite.
● Customer service orientation and negotiation skills.
● Experience with Presenting to large groups.
● High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
● Knowledge of Banner and Workday.Salary:$47,600 - $50,000College or Department:College of BusinessLocation:Boca RatonWork Days and Hours:Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Occasional evenings or weekends.Application Deadline: 2021-06-15-07:00Special Instructions to Applicant: Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Final candidate will be required to have official, sealed transcripts and original NACES evaluation, if applicable, sent from their educational institution to Human Resources prior to the start of employment.
Successful completion of a background check, which may include a motor vehicle check, credit check, fingerprinting or additional screening, is required for the selected candidate prior to the start date.
A resume and a cover letter are required for this position. Make sure to attach these required documents in the Attachments section of the application. Any missing required documents may result in disqualification.