Academic Advisor for the College of Engineering
Academic Advisor for the College of EngineeringTracking Code750-674 Job Description
The Academic Advisor for the College of Engineering will primarily be responsible for mentoring and advising undergraduate students majoring in electrical, mechanical, computer and civil engineering during their first two years at Valparaiso University.
- Initiate contact and advising students on courses required for majors and minors; and academic progress toward degree obtainment.
- Familiarize students with University policies, regulations, and graduation requirements.
- Maintain accurate student records.
- Track student degree progress.
- Inform students of departmental and Career Center mentoring activities.
- Participate in all registration and schedule adjustment periods including Focus and campus visit days.
- Work with Admissions to set up faculty meetings with prospective students and families and serves as departmental liaison.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
Please address cover letter to:
Laura Sanders, Assistant Dean for Student Success
Valparaiso, IN 46383
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with students and faculty of all cultural backgrounds and experience levels.
- Ability to prioritize multiple requests and handle them in an efficient and timely manner.
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities and resolve conflict.
- Thoroughly understand and abide by federal and university guidelines regarding student confidentiality requirements.
- Bachelor's degree and preferably experience in higher education or related field.
- A minimum of two years of advising and/or teaching experience at the post-secondary level.
- Proficient use of computers and knowledge of various software programs.