Housekeeper (7371U) 18982
Housekeeper (7371U) 18982 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 15, 2021
University House is the customary UC Berkeley Chancellor's on-campus family residence and is also the venue for university events and functions hosted by the Chancellor and their spouse/partner when appropriate. Events are held both in the public rooms of the house and outside in its large gardens. The events may range from private luncheons/dinners of a few people to large receptions of several hundred guests in the gardens. The Housekeeper is primarily responsible for maintaining the clean and orderly condition of University House. The incumbent is directed by, and provides support to, the Chancellor's Office Facilities Coordinator.
- The housekeeper must be able to operate machinery including vacuum cleaners, shampooers, polishers, and buffers. Identify and report needed repairs and equipment failure.
- Vacuums, dusts and cleans 1st and 2nd floor public and office areas of University House including the foyer living room, parlor, dining room, banquet room, kitchen, pantry, bathroom, closets, and storage rooms.
- Responsible for window sills, mirrors, area rugs, and wall-to-wall carpeting, deep cleans appliances, lighting fixtures, window treatments (shades, shutters), carefully cleans and polishes wall treatments, woodwork (walls banisters), furniture and ornamental objects throughout the house.
- Polishes stoneware, brassware, silver urns, vases, candelabra and flatware; waters and maintains plants throughout the house, cleans brass walls and carpeted floor of elevator. Launders table linens and kitchen linens.
- Vacuums, dusts and cleans 3rd and 4th floor spaces and assists in basic household duties of University House as needed.
- Assists chef in the kitchen as needed, including preparing food, washing dishes, pots, and pans, setting up and cleaning before and after events, often requiring flexible work day schedule and some weekend hours.
- Assists with floral arrangements, table setting /clearing, organizing pantry and refrigerators, cleaning stoves, ovens and small appliances.
- May set up spaces ahead of meetings, conferences, etc as needed.
- Ushers service contractors, maintenance staff and movers through service entrance and directs them to their specific tasks and work areas within the house.
- Collects and distributes mail daily. Accepts deliveries and oversees delivery and return of rental items.
- IIPP Requirements: Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations, using personal safety gear, observing warning signs, learning about potential hazards and reporting unsafe conditions.
- May have basic knowledge in administrative procedures including word processing applications.
- Requires good verbal and written communication skills in English, active listening, and time management skills.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
- Excellent service focus and customer service.
- Ability to cooperate and work well with colleagues in a team environment.
- Should be able to climb stairs and ladders and perform repetitive hand movement.
- Be available to be on call, on occasion, for after-hour and weekend events.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience.
- Driver's license required.
- At least four years of housekeeping experience required.
- Good aesthetic sense of housekeeping preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This position is at 50% of full time (FTE). The salary range for this position is $17,650 to $24,900 at 50% FTE ($35,300 to $49,800 at 100% FTE).
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=18982&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency