Specific Job Duties (Essential Functions and Responsibilities)
● Demonstrated ability to apply generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
● Gathering and analyzing complex financial data, and creating and/or reviewing journal entries to the General Ledger, requiring a high degree of detail and accuracy.
● Provide the accounting and control functions for maintenance of the University’s capital assets, including: development and maintenance of the capital asset inventory system, conducting physical observation of capital assets, determination of the proper treatment for asset additions/disposals, and ensuring all applicable fiscal rules are followed.
● Perform reconciliations, monitoring, and balancing of accounting information in a wide variety of areas.
● Function as the administrator over various systems/sub-systems with regard to banking, credit cards, and ACH transactions throughout the University. Responsible for training staff on proper use and security around credit card machines and processes, and compliance with PCI standards.
● Research and prepare financial reports to interpret and analyze financial scope of work, and period of performance information as needed.
● Assist the Controller with month-end and year-end accounting duties, as well as assist with the preparation of schedules, reconciliations, and other information for the annual audit.
● Work in close relationship with the Student Business Services division, including reviewing, closing and finalizing cashiering sessions.
● Work in close relationship with the Sponsored Programs Controller on matters impacting restricted funds.
● Serve as backup payroll officer when the Payroll Manager is absent.
● Provide support to accounting and administrative team members.
● Recommend policy changes and assist with developing and documenting ASU procedures and policies to continuously improve efficiencies and maintain regulatory compliance.
● Maintain appropriate confidentiality and ensure all security requirements are adhered to with regard to systems access and records.
● Work successfully and positively with ASU staff, departments and key stakeholders.
● Supervisory duties may be added to role.
● Ability to treat others with respect, civility, and courtesy and to work honestly, effectively, and collegiality with employees, students, and the community. This includes the ability to use appropriate conflict management skills to effectively manage any disagreement that might arise or to bring the disagreement to management for assistance in productive resolution when the situation requires.
● Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with diverse internal and external constituencies
● Other duties as assigned by the Controller.
● BA/BS in accounting, minimum 30 semester hours accounting
● 2 years professional accounting experience
● Competency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially MS Excel and MS Access Preferred:
● Active CPA license
● Government accounting experience
● Experience working in an ERP system
● Payroll experience
Completed applications must include the following:
● Letter of application, describing interest in and qualifications for the position.
● CURRENT resume/vitae.
● Names and contact information (addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses) of three (3) professional references who can address your qualifications for this position.
● Unofficial transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended, official transcripts required upon hiring.
Send applications to:
Heather Heersink, Search Chair
Adams State University
Richardson Hall Room 3-303
208 Edgemont Ave.
Alamosa, CO 81101
E-mail: [email protected]
Apply for Assistant Controller
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly