Senior Director - Real Estate Development and Special Projects
Job no: 500903
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: San José
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time
The Senior Director of Real Estate Development & Special Projects is responsible for the leadership, administration, management, and supervisory oversight associated with the planning and development of real property and is assigned special projects and initiatives important to the overall success of the Facilities Development & Operations department.
The Senior Director is responsible to lead and oversee real estate development efforts using public-private partnerships and financing structures and also leads those efforts associated with the acquisition and disposition of real property. Additionally, the Senior Director leads assigned cross-department change management, process and quality improvement initiatives designed to enhance work efficiency within Facilities Development & Operations as well as improve overall service to the campus. The Senior Director also participates with other senior managers to develop, establish, and implement Department strategic and operational plans and initiatives.
Facilities Development & Operations provides planning, design, construction, maintenance, operation, and environmental health and safety services to a University campus spread across five sites comprised of +170 acres, 52 buildings, and more than six million gross square feet. The department employs 300+ full time permanent staff and administers an operating budget in excess of $30 million not including funds associated with purchased utilities. Additionally, the department manages a project portfolio ranging in size from $500 thousand to in excess of $250 million.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Defines strategies for real estate development opportunities that ensures achievement of the campus financial and programmatic objectives
- Develops plans for acquisitions and divestitures based upon resource management, long range planning, and user needs and financial analyses
- Provides market evaluation and develops financing and transactional structure strategies as well as recommends delivery methods for real estate development projects
- Develops and presents the required complex financial analysis, financial modeling, feasibility studies and budget development associated with real estate development projects
- In partnership with Business & Finance, prepares of requests for qualifications and proposals for development partnerships. Develops and leads the review and selection process to retain such partners. Leads negotiation efforts in alignment with leadership at the department, campus and CSU system wide level.
- Leads cross-functional, diverse teams in the pursuit and implementation of public private partnership projects often serving as the primary campus representative with respect to project development, oversight, implementation, and operational management
- Leads assigned special projects and initiatives as assigned by the Senior Associate Vice President. This typically includes addressing issues associated with communication, resource planning, utilization, and process improvement in the management of University projects.
- Acts as a senior leader within the Department in mentoring and guiding efforts associated with the University’s master plan including its development and implementation. Represents the Senior Associate Vice President in the development of the master plan.
- Engages in the development of energy investment and major capital plans including those associated with deferred maintenance where assigned by the Senior Associate Vice President. To include using an evidence-driven planning processes, strategies to maximize resources, and an approach ensuring timely and cost-effective implementation.
- To include reporting and assessment activities during the implementation period
- Acts as a primary representative for assigned areas of responsibility and initiates and maintains relationships with clients across the campus to advance work efforts and support strategic initiatives and goals
- For areas of assignment, ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements of local, state and federal agencies having jurisdiction or authority over operational activities. To include applicable University policies and standards.
- Leads efforts to develop and maintain department business resiliency/continuity plan and emergency operation response plans associated with short and long term emergencies
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge and applied experience to lead and oversee real estate development and major capital investment projects including site assessment, programming, acquisitions, transaction structure, alternative delivery methods, financing, design, construction, and operations
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated experience in commercial real estate practices, negotiations, and contract development
- Strong knowledge and understanding of commercial property management, real estate law, and contract interpretation
- Advanced knowledge in the preparation of RFQ/RFP’s for the purpose of attracting and selecting partners for the development, rehabilitation and/or management of real estate development projects
- Strong knowledge of project planning and management principles including skills which result in successful project performance related to business case analysis, scope identification, budget and schedule performance
- Thorough knowledge required to plan and develop major capital investment plans as related to real estate and campus development including use of alternative methods of project financing and delivery and ensuring effective use of assets
- Demonstrated knowledge developing and implementing energy investment programs and related capital projects designed to ensure ongoing operational resiliency while steering toward carbon neutrality
- Demonstrated record of successful financial planning, budgeting, analysis, and fiscal management related to real estate development and major capital projects. To include high level analytical, mathematical and decision-making skills in order to analyze and interpret financial and legal contractual terms
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of public contracting requirement and skills required to develop and analyze proposals and negotiate favorable business terms
- Ability to lead by example, modeling a caring, collaborative and open culture and environment which values the individual, teams and teamwork, ethical conduct, exemplary customer service and quality results
- Bachelor's degree in real estate, urban planning, engineering, business, finance or a related field OR which may be obtained through equivalent experience such as might be attained through ten years of experience in real estate development, of which a minimum of five years is associated with progressively responsible senior level experience
- Ten years of project management experience and five years of senior leadership experience within a complex and large organization
- Prefer certification in Commercial Real Estate Development or a Master’s Degree in Real Estate, Construction Management or Engineering
- Five years of experience with planning, development, and management of a University or large commercial organization’s real estate assets and development projects
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 31, 2021 through June 2, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: May 31, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled