Patient Advocacy Manager
Job location: Remote - Virginia
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-06-01
The Manager of Patient Advocacy is responsible for the leadership and management of the Lead Advocate and Advocate team. This includes the administrative and financial services aspect of the Population Health department for these team members. Support the culture of person-centered, exceptional care of patients and of team members, and cultivate programmatic, as well as interdepartmental collaborative needs to further develop retention and growth expectations and support current and future team members, team member assignments and all programs.
It will be expected that the Manager also carry a minimum load of patients in order to review/approve program workflows, as well as collaboration workflows between patients, providers, emergency room, clinical inpatient and outpatient care teams, pharmacy, as well as social work, case management, home health, skilled nursing facility partners, inpatient rehab facility partners, and local, state and federal resource providers in supporting the management and coordination of patient panels across the health system spectrum for multiple payer types and value-based care contracts.
The UVA Health, Population Health department strives to improve the patient experience, the quality of care and outcomes while managing costs for defined groups of people, as well as to bring significant health concerns into focus so that issues can be addressed by matching needs to resource allocation as a means to overcome the barriers to healthcare that drive poor health conditions. Population Health seeks opportunities to collaborate internally and with other agencies and organizations to improve the health outcomes within the local, regional and state areas in order to best care for the patient populations served.1. Fosters a work environment which promotes the development of integrated multidisciplinary work groups.2. Working alongside the Project Coordinators, provides guidance on and review/revision of any PH program as directed, workflow design and/or software associated with the support of all Population Health programs where advocacy is a requirement of participation.3. Create requisitions for hiring patient care advocates, as well as recruit, screen, assembly of and participation on interview committees, and provide all closure to the hiring process of these team members.4. Insure the correct training assignments of all team members and newly hired team members. This includes annual training expectations from UVA Health. Training must include use of any software programs (Epic, Locus Health, PeopleSoft, Kronos, Workday, etc.) and the set-up of email accounts and all user assignments/agreements prior to the onboarding of new team members, review of UVA Health and departmental policies, completion of all CBLs by due date, and annual retraining in needed areas.5. Drive completion of all self-appraisals and advocate manager appraisals for all lead and patient care advocates.6. Manage timekeeping, schedules and approval of all lead advocate and patient advocates out of the office requests, making sure requests don’t overlap or leave the entirety of the team burdened due to these overlaps. This will include all needs in Kronos with scheduling, approval of payroll, requests are kept on the PH dept. calendar, and managing the emergent needs of team members in Kronos, whenever needed.7. Manages within the parameters of the established Lead Advocate and Advocate budget for Population health and meeting the goals established by institutional budget initiatives. 8. Using UVA Health and departmental policies, manage all concerns, issues, needs, and disputes within the Lead Advocate and Advocate team9. Conduct, assure and provide quarterly audits on the adherence of Lead Advocate and Advocate team that all of the following is provided according to UVA Health and departmental expectations, policies and protocols.
- Patient Outreach and education prior to, during, and after the appointment, including plans of action and assist with maintaining the plan
- Serves as front-line liaison between patients, available resources, and UVA Medical Center
- Reinforces patient education through outreach for wellness and chronic disease.
- Develops, with the patient, a plan of action and commitment contract, as well as assists with navigation of care plan and enrollment in appropriate Disease Management and other programs including Behavioral Health.
- Communicates to provider(s) or clinical team the patient actions as a result of patient plan of action.
- Schedules patients for appointments associated with plan of action and necessary referrals.
- Communicates regularly with patients to follow-up on progress and discuss barriers or challenges, as well as potential adjustments to plan of action. This information is then shared with Case Management and/or the physician.
- Measures patient actions and presents the outcomes of patient plan of action activities to providers, clinical team and the UVA Value Based Care Organization.
- Recognizes patient achievements through providing the team member with earned incentives.
- Coordinates Medical Reconciliation Advisement
- Conducts Depression Screening and follows appropriate protocol when needed
- Makes certain all pertinent information is available for providers and takes necessary steps to obtain information by thoroughly reviewing charts, following-up on lab orders, internal/external referrals and patient plan of action.
- Utilizes chronic condition based algorithms to drive panel and patient actions under the direction of the provider(s).
- Enrolls patients in My Chart program.
- Prepares patient plan of action through EPIC and other electronic systems.
- Researches additional clinical indicators as designated by the provider(s) and/or clinical teams.
- May work at multiple clinics, inpatient units, including on and off Grounds.
- Participates in team projects including regular team meetings and VBC projects.
- Maintains knowledge of resources and builds relations with those resources to assist with patient plans of action
Education: Bachelor's Degree Required. Master's Degree Preferred
Experience: >2 years experience in progressive leadership as an Advocate, preferably in Population Health. 1-year relevant experience in a clinical environment experience preferred.
License/Certification: May require a valid Virginia Driver’s License.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods and frequently bending/stooping/walking. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.