HR Assistant III, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Aerospace & Mechanical EngrDepartment Website Link:
1130 N. Mountain Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85721 USAPosition Highlights:
The Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department (AME) is accepting applications for a Human Resources Assistant, III. This position reports to the Administration and Finance Manager. The successful candidate will work with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty and administrators. The HR Assistant will be responsible for coordinating and providing Human Resources services and payroll processing for the department, work on complex problems that require significant judgment and initiative and will be expected to independently propose solutions to problems for manager review, requiring innovation and creativity.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate recruitment process; developing job descriptions, preparing recruitment announcements, advertisements, informational recruitment materials, record retention maintenance and interviewing of candidates
- Conduct employment activities; reviewing employment applications, evaluating qualifications, referring candidates to hiring authorities, providing assistance to hiring authorities and search committees regarding compliance with relevant University policies and procedures
- Prepare all personnel related hiring documents for the department and ensure that hiring processes comply with University guidelines and policies.
- Prepare and review all hiring documentation; initiating new hire transactions, running E-Verify and approving/certifying I-9’s
- Coordinate and process various MSS transactions; new hires, job changes, termination requests, visa date changes, promotions, title changes, salary increases and Designated Campus Colleague (DCC) requests.
- Assist international new hires, international visiting scholars and visiting interns with the visa application process.
- Review and generate Graduate Student’s Notice of Appointments.
- Coordinate Timesheet Review and Approvals on bi-weekly basis to ensure that time reporting and approval for all department employees meet University deadlines and comply with University policy.
- Assists with processing of Payment Requests; off-cycle pay requests, moving and technology allowances.
- Provide information and respond to financial inquiries from students, staff and faculty.
- Assists with processing of Family Medical Leaves, Personal Leaves of Absence, and Compassionate Transfer of Leaves etc.
- Assist departmental directors, supervisors, and managers with interpretation of departmental policies regarding employee time records, and paid and unpaid leaves.
- Assist with processing and assessment of employment visas (J-1, H1-B) eligibility in consultation with the Office for International Faculty& Scholars.
- Assist with auditing of employee work hours to ensure ACA and ASRS compliance.
- Research, analyze, summarize and interpret University business policies and procedures.
- Assist with development and coordination of departmental processes and procedures ensuring compliance with University policies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to convey information appropriately to a wide range of individuals.
- Experience with personal computers and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.)
- Strong problem solving, analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of UA HR policies and procedures.
- Attention to detail, initiative, and high degree of openness to new approaches and new ideas.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learningattained through experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience required.
- Experience with UAccess Systems: Employee, Financials, Student, and Analytics.
- Experience working in a UA academic department or research center.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 5 years of experience in an HR related position.
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Human ResourcesBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$16.10 - $22.36 (DOE)Compensation Type:
5Career Stream and Level:
HR GeneralistsJob Function:
Human ResourcesType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
6/7/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
6/1/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.