Aerospace Mechanical Engineer, R&D Engineer 3 (7120U) 18642
Aerospace Mechanical Engineer, R&D Engineer 3 (7120U) 18642 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 6/1/2021
The Space Sciences Laboratory (SSL) is an Organized Research Unit (ORU) of the Berkeley campus reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Research. SSL's primary goal is to foster research in space related sciences and to provide education for the next generation of space scientists. Research at SSL, led by Berkeley faculty and SSL Senior Fellows, focuses on experiments and observations carried out in space as well as theoretical and basic research. Since its inception in 1959, SSL has participated in over 50 NASA space science missions, including the Apollo, Mars, Discovery, and Explorer programs, as well as many international space missions. SSL researchers have pioneered the development of instrumentation for study of the Sun, the interplanetary medium, the planets, and the Earth; for ultraviolet, x-ray, gamma-ray, and infrared astronomy; and for the measurement of the cosmic microwave background. SSL provides the engineering and technical capabilities required to develop and fabricate individual space instruments, an entire scientific payload for a spacecraft, or an entire space mission from start-to-finish-complete with in-house instrument design and fabrication; instrument and spacecraft integration and testing; launch support; mission and science operations, including commanding the spacecraft and bringing the data down to SSL's own ground station; and data processing and analysis.
Uses skills as a seasoned, experienced engineering professional in a specialized engineering field on a major training and / or research effort. Assignments typically require concentration in a field of application where subject matter knowledge relevant to research objectives and methodology is of great value in understanding and establishing engineering design criteria. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
Performs engineering design and development of aerospace systems including scientific instruments for spacecraft, high-altitude balloons, sounding rockets, and ground-based observatories. Independently generates mechanical designs and solutions based on functional goals set for instruments. Designs electrical and software solutions as needed. Participates in most phases of a project: preliminary and detailed design, fabrication, test, integration, launch and post-launch. Participates in design reviews.
- Provides full range of professional engineering services for scientific instruments, spacecraft, balloons, rockets, and ground-based observatories.
- Determines project specifications and parameters. Designs are created and analyzed using CAD. Evaluates designs using engineering analysis to verify required margins are met. Meets with research staff in the design and development phase.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes annual and semi-annual reports. Participates in reviews.
- Provides engineering information and advice to Principal Investigators and/or other faculty and research personnel with administrative responsibility for the research program or teaching facility.
- Performs design, construction, assembly and testing of complex experimental equipment and instrument systems.
- 5Implements related business processes.
- Professional Development
- 5Provides direction and guidance to lower level R&D Engineers.
- Significant knowledge and experience in CAD software, preferably SolidWorks and OnShape.
- Experience with FEA and Office applications.
- Trained in the mechanical engineering discipline with significant professional experience.
- Ability and experience in designing and developing mechanical systems based on general specifications of desired functionality and with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with other engineering specialties involved in assignments (electrical, thermal).
- Ability to develop analytical models and implement them in software (Python, Matlab)
- Knowledge and skill with electromechanical systems and electronic controllers
- Skills in supervising engineering technician staff to ensure objectives are met in adherence to quality standards.
- Experience documenting design efforts in engineering logbooks, engineering drawings, engineering analysis reports, test plans and reports, and in formal project reviews. Experience producing drawings to ASME Y14.5.
- Thorough knowledge associated with independently performing the full range of engineering professional design work.
- Thorough knowledge necessary to apply principles, practices and procedures in the completion of assignments.
- Demonstrated organizational and decision-making abilities to prioritize competing work assignments in order to meet deadlines and adherence to quality standards.
- Strong analytical and judgment skills to independently conduct analyses and develop appropriate recommendations.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner; identify challenges and barriers and recommend resolutions.
- Ability to lead and influence others.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=18642&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency