Associate Editor (4017U) - 18755
Associate Editor (4017U) - 18755 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 4, 2021
Representations is an internationally recognized interdisciplinary journal of the humanities and social sciences published quarterly both in print and online by the University of California Press (the Publisher), and administered by the Townsend Center for the Humanities at UC Berkeley (the Host Department).
In continuous operation since 1983, the journal has played and continues to play a critical role in defining the shape of interdisciplinary scholarship in the humanities, enhancing intellectual life at Berkeley and beyond, and advancing the reputation of the University of California throughout the world.
The journal is governed by fifteen to twenty-five Editorial Board members and receives upwards of 200 submissions per year, each of which is reviewed and evaluated. Of these, approximately 10 to 15 percent (twenty to thirty essays) are published annually.
The Associate Editor is responsible for the editing, production, and promotion of Representations. The AE organizes editorial reading and discussion; provides substantial review and editing of complex scholarly manuscripts; manages the editorial office and correspondence with authors; communicates with the editors, the Publisher, and the Host Department; hires, trains, and supervises one editorial assistant per year; and organizes professional and promotional events. The AE reports to the co-chairs of the Editorial Board but performs all aspects of the position independently.
EDITORIAL (40% = 20% decision process; 20% manuscript editing)
- Organizes editorial decision process; assigns submitted manuscripts (MSS) to appropriate readers on Editorial Board, based on assessment of MS; monitors readers' responses
- Proposes special issues and editorial themes to be pursued
- Discusses preliminary and secondary reports on submitted MSS with Editorial Board; attracts and solicits articles from authors
- Writes detailed evaluative reports to authors based on editorial discussions, written comments, and reading of MSS
- For accepted articles: requests for revision of argument, substance, style
- For rejected articles: summaries of discussions and written comments
- Supervises journal production; creates, disseminates, and maintains production schedules
- Coordinates journal typesetting; sets specifications with providers
- Analyzes MSS for degree and type of editing, level and selection of illustrations; assigns or contracts with outside freelancers for editing
- Supervises transmission and manipulation of digital image files; prepares illustrations for production
- Creates and monitors procedures for authors' preparation and delivery of MS materials for production
- Trains and supervises Editorial Assistant in preparing article files for editing
- Oversees proofreading by Editorial Assistant and freelancers; reconciles authors', proofreaders', and typesetters' proofs
- Monitors and records alterations and excess authors' corrections for cost-control and billing
- Monitors print quality
- Guides Editorial Board: determines monthly meeting agendas, coordinates discussion of ongoing board initiatives (e.g., mission statement, special issues, symposia, discussions of board composition and board members' scholarship)
- Schedules and develops agenda for annual planning meeting with Publisher
- Manages daily operations of editorial office; schedules editorial, training, hiring meetings
- Trains and supervises Editorial Assistant in database MS trafficking system
- Trains and supervises Editorial Assistant in routine communication with authors
- Trains and supervises Editorial Assistant in distribution of submissions to readers and file management and maintenance
- Supervises dissemination of cloud-hosted shared journal data for Editorial Board
- Evaluates the work of Editorial Assistant
- Monitors journal income and expense budgets from all funding sources; reviews and relays budgets to Editorial Board
- Determines funding for and hires freelance editors and translators as needed
- Manages contracts between authors, third parties, and Publisher
- Sets up and maintains computer equipment, programs, and files
- Coordinates administration of journal funds with Host Department
- Maintains journal archive
PROMOTION AND LIAISON(15%)
- Manages journal website
- Writes content and monitors structure for effective presentation of information
- Supervises editorial assistant in maintaining and updating the site
- Tracks and analyzes site traffic
- Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation.
- Thorough knowledge of appropriate editorial style and publication guidelines.
- Ability to write clear, lively, engaging and compelling copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences and/or the broader public.
- An understanding of issues and research trends in the specialized academic disciplines of the humanities.
- Knowledge of computer applications for publishing, image handling, and web production.
- Must have the technical capacity to work in a fully electronic environment.
- Knowledge of HTML and social media platforms such as WordPress and Twitter a plus.
- Strong research and fact verification skills.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills, including active listening and effective collaboration skills.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated strong project management and organizational skills, and attention to detail.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a part-time, 30-hours per week, Career position, eligible for full UC Benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=18755&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency