Communication & Network Tech Analyst 3 (7566U) SAIT 18856
Communication & Network Tech Analyst 3 (7566U) SAIT 18856 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 4, 2021
The Division of Student Affairs advances the learning and personal growth of students by providing leadership, services, and opportunities that enable students to succeed in and contribute to a diverse and global society. Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT), a department within the Division, provides and supports the technology and computing services for the Division. SAIT supports many of the services provided to students, the Division of Student Affairs, and the university community.
SAIT consists of 30+ full-time career staff and over 70+ student part-time staff. The department is organized into six teams: Student Technologies, Portfolio and Project Management, Application Development, Systems, Operations, and Information Security.
The Operations team within Student Affairs Information Technologies is responsible for the management of the production environments and infrastructure that support the business needs of the Division of Student Affairs. This team is responsible for Linux, Unix and Windows server administration, file server storage management, database administration, active directory management, firewall management, networking installation and configuration, server security, system backups, advanced desktop support, and monitoring of services for availability.
This position is responsible for managing, supporting, installing, and maintaining a complex environment that is crucial to the academic, residential, and core business objectives of SAIT. This position works to develop and implement complex systems in collaboration with customers, residents, vendors, and staff across campus. Responsibilities include managing aspects of various network attached equipment and related infrastructure, point-of-sale equipment, digital signage, and other Internet of Things (IoT) devices. Support responsibilities includes but are not limited to the research, installation and coordination, and management of similar devices, and the quick and timely resolution of problems.
- Manage and maintain support for unique network attached devices, including point of sale equipment, digital signage, card access equipment, and other "Internet of Things" devices in support of departmental business systems. Install, setup, and continuously monitor these devices, including network, hardware, and software configurations. Coordinate with vendors for maintenance and repairs.
- Performs complex analysis and takes a lead role in the design, specification and installation of distribution and access electronics, point of sale systems, and building access hardware. Evaluates and tests new or enhanced hardware and services. Provides expert advice to users / units on associated needs.
- In coordination with IS&T Network Operations and Services, implements complex communications and network system changes. Participates in the configuration and testing of complex network diagnostic tools and software. Consults with other units on new or retrofit building projects and to provide advice and guidance on communications and building access infrastructure.
- Responsible for general network issue determination and resolution. Troubleshoots complex issues in network systems software and distribution and access electronics for medium and large network installations. Works directly with campus partners and vendor / manufacturer technical support to isolate and resolve complex hardware and software issues. Configures and troubleshoots systems that support network services.
- Directly and indirectly supervises a student team in collaboration with the Student Leadership Coordinator and the student leads; participates in the annual cycle of recruitment, hiring and training; shares responsibility for developing and sustaining a strong student leadership program.
- Provides back up support for campus and remote systems and requests for assistance.
- Maintains a positive relationship with other departments and personnel that will assist in the development, funding, promotion, and/or public relations of the Division of Student Affairs and SAIT. Supports the success and objectives of SAIT.
- Identifies and selects training opportunities for professional development. Participates in cross-functional group discussions, activities and efforts.
- Adheres to University and departmental policies, procedures, and professional practices as well as city, state, and federal laws. Also responsible for adherence to UC Berkeley's Data Classification Standard, Minimum Security Standards for Networked Devices and Minimum Security Standards for Electronic Information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of professional communications and network concepts necessary to resolve issues using established parameters, creativity and independent judgment, escalating as necessary.
- Thorough understanding of various network hardware platforms, network related protocols and software including understanding of OSI layer 3 protocols at a basic level and layer 2 protocols at a complex level and related technical standards critical to the operation of interconnected networks.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
- Thorough and broad knowledge and experience working with network management systems.
- Experience supporting a broad range of "Internet of Things" devices on a corporate network.
- Ability to gather, organize and analyze data in the completion of a variety of functional assignments.
- Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated diverse problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of Point of Sale systems (Micros/Simphony).
- Knowledge of building access and card key technologies (CS Gold, HID).
- ITIL V3 Foundations training and certification.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. The annual salary range of the position is $90,000.00 - $105,000.00, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=18856&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency