Lab Safety Coordinator / Assistant Building Manager (5194U) 19037
Lab Safety Coordinator / Assistant Building Manager (5194U) 19037 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 10, 2021
Biosciences Divisional Services (BDS) provides administrative, student, and instructional support services to the two academic Departments that constitute the L&S Division of Biological Sciences. Our focus is to provide effective and efficient support in the pursuit of furthering the teaching and research missions of the Departments. We support a culture of continuous improvement in order to ensure we provide excellent service for the communities we support and belong to.
Biosciences Divisional Services Facilities staff oversee the following buildings that house the Departments of Integrative Biology and Molecular & Cell Biology, among others:
- Barker Hall
- Weill Hall
- Koshland Hall
- Valley Life Sciences Building (VLSB)
- Li Ka Shing Center
- IB/MCB labs in Donner Lab and Haas Pavilion
- Conducts regular periodic rounds to inspect areas for security, fire and accident hazards and takes appropriate action as required, including reporting infractions of fire and building codes, building rules and other building irregularities to management.
- May act as Building Coordinator for organization emergency / disaster preparedness for assigned venues, serves as the communication liaison between organization service agencies and building occupants, and prepares building response plans and coordinates education and planning in this area for all building occupants.
- May act as representative of organization safety committee, organization building emergency committee, and organization ergonomic program, and is responsible for departmental compliance with OSHA / EH&S regulations regarding state and organization policies and procedures, and works to implement safety and emergency preparedness policies and procedures with staff, including maintaining first aid supplies, fire extinguishers and other safety equipment.
- Serves as "Department Access Key Controller" delegate as defined by the UCPD Access Control Policy, maintaining accurate records of all access control activities, ensuring appropriate authority prior to issuing keys, ordering replacement keys as needed, recovering department keys from departing personnel, reporting any failure to recover access control keys to department management and UCPD, and securely storing unassigned keys in the department's UCPD-approved cabinets.
- Acts as department equipment custodian through the equipment tracking system(s) and conducts department inventory controls, including processing and maintaining records of equipment insurance requests.
- Coordinates and carries out department signage, display, and promotional needs. Coordinates scheduling of critical and common building spaces.
- Maintains and supervises distribution, security and maintenance of department radios. May also initiate IS&T phone and data orders for building occupants.
- Written communication skills to prepare a variety of correspondence, reports, policies and procedures, and training documents.
- Active listening, interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills to effectively resolve questions, concerns, issues or problems and ensure cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Skills to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working organizational skills to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines, to establish goals and work load priorities, and to meet project deadlines within budget and time constraints.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures of safety and emergency preparedness.
- HAZWOPER, CSP, CSHM, CPR - First Aid, or similar HSE certifications or can complete certification once hired.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures relating to facility maintenance.
- Skills to work under pressure of deadlines in a stressful environment.
Salary & Benefits
This is an hourly paid position. Rate will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=19037&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency