Community College of PhiladelphiaGeneral Description
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions. To help address broad economic, cultural and political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve their goals.
The Department of Biology invites applications for a full-time, Instructional Aide A (Team Lead) to begin in the 2021-2022 academic year.
The Instructional Aide A (Team Lead) provides services to the Biology Department through maintenance of the Biology labs and oversight of lab operations, planning and lab job assignments.Specific Responsibilities
• Serve as team lead and provide oversight to Instructional Lab Aide faculty to include distribution of job assignments and monitoring work product, reporting issues to the Biology Department Head.
• Prioritize work assignments to ensure timely completion, and review for accuracy and quality.
• Make hiring recommendations for external co-op students to Biology Department Head; direct the activities of external co-op students; ensure that external co-ops are trained in procedures relating to the Lab Assistant's preps and evaluate co-op performance.
• Report instructor absences to the Biology Department Head including information regarding whether or not instructor called-in or contacted the department; address instructor problems, requests and complaints immediately; report instructor requests or complaints to Biology Department Head.
• Approve leave time requests for Biology Lab aides and student workers, as needed.
• Prepare monthly expenses and submit on time to Biology Department Head.
• Submit inventory lists on Prep Sheets within three (3) days of the start of the semester.
• Report potential problems that could impact the operation of the Prep Room or the Biology Department to the Biology Department Head.
• Set-up the assigned laboratory experiments for the week either on a cart, in bins or a combination in consideration of required set-up.
• Take down preps and place the remnants in their correct positions and, if required, discard the perishables.
• Plan inventory including perishables, hardware and other items necessary for the complete and successful discharging of the assigned laboratory session.
• Complete the Laboratory Log Book with appropriate documentation, notes and reminders.
• Answer incoming calls to the Biology Lab, take messages and deliver messages to specific individuals as needed, to include writing "class has been cancelled", or any other pertinent information that pertains to the Biology prep lab or Biology Department.
• Check each lab twice a day to ensure availability of required supplies, including paper towels, dyes, decolorizer, beakers, pipettes, etc.
• Report any violation in safety protocols regarding procedure, hardware or by any individual to the Biology Department Head.
• Report any equipment breakage or severe downtime such as with the autoclave, distilled watermaker, fume hoods, etc. to the Biology Department Head.
• Insure that mail is picked-up and delivered to the Mail Room.
• Insure that duplication materials are picked up and deliverd to the Duplicating Department.
• Edit and print BIOLOGY 106, 107, 109, 110, 123, 124, 211 and 241 Prep Sheets for all regional centers.
• Edit and duplicate materials for Course Maintenance Memos.
• Prepare Biology lab room schedules for Main Campus and for all regional centers as well as the Open Lab schedule at Main Campus.
• Provide appropriate levels of care for animals and/or plants received for use in a laboratory or classroom.
• Deliver quality customer services to both internal and external constituents in a professional, helpful and courteous manner.
• Other duties as assigned. Minimum Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree in a related field required.
• Two (2) to five (5) years of laboratory experience, including preparation of solutions, culturing techniques and lab equipment validation required; one (1) year of experience providing oversight in a Biology Lab required.
• Knowledge of regulatory requirements involving chemicals, microbes, safety and storage required.
• Knowledge of current instrumentation techniques involving traditional biological processes as well as advanced techniques in Microbiology, Biotechnology and Molecular Biology required.
• Knowledge of laboratory operations and ability to make suggestions on modifying the lab for cost efficiencies that will create the same outcomes required.
• Possession of a valid driver's license required.
• Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment inclusive of students, faculty and staff of varying social economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds required.Preferred Qualifications
• Industrial experience in the Biological Sciences and Biotechnology field with safety training preferred.
• Experience with fermentation processes preferred.
• Knowledge of federal regulations for academic labs preferred.Work Location
Main CampusSpecial Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Name and contact information for three (3) references REQUIRED.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
• Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.Salary Grade or Rank
Rank APosition Type