Medical Research Specialist....TNPRC Veterinary Medicine
Location: Covington, LA
Manage day-to-day operation of the Unit of Collaborative Research (UCR) laboratory. Responsible for preparation, collection, and maintenance of project samples in biosafety level 2 and 3 laboratories. All tasks will be completed in accordance with the Standard Operating Protocols (SOPs) in place. Adequate training in these aspects will be provided by the investigator.
The Medical Research Specialist also conducts research analysis and prepares reports, manages daily operational functions of the laboratory, maintains experimental records, orders and keeps track of laboratory specimens, supplies and inventory, contributes to publication research and development activities, as well as monitors work performance of lab assistants and student researchers as assigned. Ensures OSHA, Biosafety and University medical, safety and training requirements are met for the laboratory.
This position has job duties that require accessing the BSL3 containment areas. There will be additional minimum requirements including some or all of the following:
- Must obtain and maintain clearance of a US Department of Justice Security Risk Assessment for access to select biological agents and toxins.
- Must pass a medical respiratory physical to wear respiratory protection.
- Must participate in and be in compliance with TNPRC drug and alcohol policy. This is necessary at the time of beginning employment and at any time afterwards. Employment is contingent upon successful compliance with this policy at all times.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a biological science (biology, zoology, microbiology, pathobiology, molecular biology)
- 3 years of directly related experience
- Business courses/business certification
- Proficiency/experience with Tulane systems and programs.
- Previous data entry and/or scheduling experience.