Postdoctoral Fellow (Laboratory Animal Medicine Veterinary Resident)Location:
Covington, LAOpen Date:
May 24, 2021Description:
The Postdoctoral Fellow is responsible for the medical care of research and breeding animals, performing experimental surgical procedures and assistance in the design and monitoring of research projects, completing an independent research project, and preparing a scientific manuscript for publication. This is a year-to-year training period that may be renewable for two or three years, depending on track selected. May be designated as essential personnel during a storm/natural disaster. Qualifications:
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. DVM degree or equivalent from an accredited program in veterinary medicine
2. Must be able to work with nonhuman primates and other laboratory animal species without jeopardizing the health of said nonhuman primates and other laboratory animal species
3. Must have passed state board examination to practice veterinary medicine in one or more states in the U.S.
4. Specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents are required.
5. The TNPRC maintains biosafety level 3 facilities and performs work on diverse infectious agents, many of which can cause serious disease in humans if standard operating procedures, including use of appropriate personal protective equipment, are not followed. Depending on agent specific risk assessments individuals may be offered, or in some cases required, to have vaccinations against the relevant agents.
If this position is assigned to work in ABSL3 containment areas there will be additional minimum requirements including some or all of the following:
-Must pass a US Department of Justice Security Risk Assessment for access to select biological agents and toxins
-Ability to perform job duties while wearing respiratory protection
-Must participate in drug and alcohol program and be in compliance with TNPRC drug and alcohol policyApplication Instructions:
Apply to Post Doc Pool IRC 17223.