Edison State Community College
invites qualified candidates to apply for the 3rd shift, full time position of Facilities Services Technician. The job of Facilities Services Technician exists for the purpose(s) of providing all maintenance operations and housekeeping functions of the college, and maintaining a safe, sanitary and attractive facility for students, staff, and public. This is a multifunctional position. Under general direction, performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance services relating to construction, maintenance, modification, and repair activities in all areas of the facility and grounds. The technician must assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc. The technician must work under widely varying time constraints, yet still as expediently as possible. The technician must ensure that all activities are performed around school schedules and site meetings. While the primary focus is on maintenance duties, this position is frequently required to coordinate with other departments, maintenance personnel, outside contractors, and various other outside groups.
To be considered, candidates should include cover letter, resume, and three professional references when submitting their online application. Edison State Community College is an EOE/AA Employer.
Examples of Duties: Maintenance
- Provides basic carpentry, painting, plumbing, electrical, flooring and overall repair of all types of equipment.
- Performs light plastering, wall preparation and painting.
- Performs basic electrical work (120 volt, single phase repairs) and determines when an electrician is needed.
- Performs basic plumbing repairs.
- Performs basic carpentry including, but not limited to, hanging pictures, shelves, countertops, anchor bookcases, secure file cabinets, change ceiling tiles, and assemble, dismantle, reassemble, and install furniture.
- Removes and reinstalls doors, shelves, casework, partitions, equipment, etc.
- Installs and repairs vinyl flooring, base and carpet tiles.
- Removes and installs hardware such as door closers, coat hooks, door stops, etc.
- Determines and performs maintenance schedules for entire facility and all equipment.
- Exercises overall responsibility for inspecting, planning, and implementing preventive maintenance schedules.
- Works with outside contractors and building maintenance personnel as required.
- Assists with overseeing performance of outside contractors and crews working on projects within the facility as required.
- Maintains inventory of janitorial and maintenance supplies and submits data to supervisor to ensure ready availability of all supplies and equipment required.
- Assists with the coordination and scheduling of special projects.
- Operates and maintains (cleans, adjusts, aligns and lubricates) standard powered and non-powered tools and equipment necessary to accomplish responsibilities listed above and in compliance with plant preventative maintenance programs.
- Maintains and repairs a variety of hand and power tools ensuring they are in safe and efficient working order.
- Responds to calls and emergencies such as vehicle accidents, alarms, and other hazards.
- Attaches and tows equipment such as trailers holding equipment.
- Mixes and pours cement, when required.
- Cleans work areas upon completing a project for the safety of staff and the maintenance of the buildings.
- Operates power driven machinery such as fork lifts, boom trucks, or other similarly sized equipment.
- Assists in pulling wire and conduit.
- Installs, replaces, or adjusts light bulbs, belts or other similar objects.
- Performs, as needed, any emergency and/or scheduled cleaning, sanitation, and replenishment duties as they relate to the general aesthetic of the college and the needs of the department.
- Will perform minor electrical, plumbing, lighting, furniture, fence, gate, and other related repairs.
- Identifies and reports the need for major repairs to supervisor.
- Replaces light bulbs.
- Reports and/or repairs damage done to site property.
- Keeps grounds neat and clean at all times by sweeping walkways, sidewalks, and other areas.
- Sweep or blow debris from parking lots.
- Removes snow or debris from sidewalks and parking lots using hand-operated tools, small power equipment, and/or large power equipment such as tractors, bobcat, snow plow and dump truck.
- Removes trash from grounds areas.
- Assists in maintaining lawns and grounds by watering, weeding, pruning, mowing and fertilizing.
- Assists in repair and replacement of sprinklers and minor painting jobs.
- Replaces water bottles in dispensers.
- Arranges tables, chairs, and equipment for meetings and events as needed.
- Raises and lowers flag.
- Moves and/or relocates heavy furniture and other items.
Supply/Inventory Control and Distribution
- Requisitions all custodial supplies and equipment in a timely manner to ensure adequate supplies and levels are available to perform custodial duties.
- Organizes and stores equipment and supplies.
- Maintains inventory of all custodial items.
- Refills all supplies and paper products in restrooms.
- Distributes requested supplies to staff.
- Maintains service rooms and storage areas in a clean and orderly manner.
- Enforce and Support policies established by the Maintenance Supervisor and/or the Director of Facilities.
- Daily routine inspections of work areas.
- Perform related and all other duties as assigned.
- Routinely required to work under inclement weather conditions.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including off shifts, evenings, weekends, and holidays as required to support campus activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications:Required Knowledge, Skills, and Personal Qualifications:
- Must possess a working knowledge of building systems to include but not limited to plumbing, electrical, painting, concrete, and roofing, construction and carpentry.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form, including the use of two-way radios.
- Read, understand and follow instructions, schedules, and safety label directions.
- Operate a variety of cleaning and maintenance equipment in a safe manner.
- Ability to perform minor repairs.
- Must work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others and comply with all safety and environmental regulations.
- Must be able to remember, follow through, carry out and complete assignments.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with individuals and groups.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Organize and prioritize tasks to meet cleaning schedules.
- Perform the physical requirements of the position which include but are not limited to lifting up to 50 lbs. unassisted, bending, standing, climbing or walking.
- Must be able to work safely in an environment containing caustic chemicals, cleaning materials, dust and noise.
- Must have knowledge of meters, gauges, and other electronic devices.
- Must have basic knowledge of analog and digital electronic theory, basic AC, DC Voltage terminology and application.
- Must have knowledge of computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) for reporting, creating, closing, and various other tasks as required.
- Must have knowledge of the use and care of all tools and equipment including calibration test equipment, common hand tools, volt and amp meters.
- Must have knowledge of cleaning materials and methods and the proper use of chemicals and materials in cleaning.
- Must have experience using safety practices and sanitary procedures.
- Must know proper lifting techniques.
- Must possess basic mathematical skills to understand ratios for mixing cleaning solutions.
- Must be able to comprehend rules, regulations, and procedures to properly dispose of hazardous fluids, blood borne pathogens, and chemicals.
Six (6) months to one (1) year of a combination of training and experience which demonstrates ability to perform the duties as described. A typical qualifying background would include prior experience and/or training in maintenance work. The best candidate for the position is one who takes initiative, ownership, and pride in their work.Required Educational Background:
High School Diploma or GEDOther:
Must possess a valid Ohio Driver's License. Ability to read floor plans is a plus. Experience with computers and computerized equipment as related to email, building automation systems, and preventative maintenance systems.
11:00p.m. to 7:30a.m., Sunday thru Thursday.Supervises Following Staff: