DescriptionUniversity of Colorado Denver
Executive Director, Risk Management & Insurance Program
Position #00784138 – Requisition 21475
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The Business School has an opening for a full time University Staff (unclassified) Executive Director of Risk Management and Insurance Program position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver—one of America’s most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students—all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here. Nature of Work
The Executive Director is responsible for successful leadership and operational excellence of the Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) Program at CU Denver Business School. Responsibilities include strategic planning, continuously improving curriculum, growing enrollment, budgeting, marketing, placing graduates, managing staff and fundraising, as well as, coordinating, planning, implementing, evaluating, and overseeing the RMI degree programs, courses, and outreach activities.This position is also responsible for developing and sustaining relationships with key stakeholders who support RMI students and graduates, managing and leading a vibrant advisory board, integrating key industry trends and advancing the RMI Program to a level of national distinction. The Executive Director needs to work directly with risk management and insurance companies, executives, alumni, and students to complete a feedback loop of program enhancements and strategic additions. Supervision Received
- Reports to the Dean of the Business School
- Collaborates closely with the Finance Area Director
Examples of Work Performed
- Leads and directs the RMI staff
Salary and Benefits:
- Develop and execute short and long-term student recruitment strategies for the program.
- Develop and manage annual program budgets, and adhere to policies and practices relevant to Foundation accounts.
- Recruit and advise RMI students concerning program admission, course enrollment, and scholarships.
- Provide leadership for curriculum innovation and management.
- Serve as curriculum coordinator, working closely with the Finance Area Director on creating and canceling courses, recruiting and assigning faculty, ensuring proper set up of courses, troubleshooting enrollment issues and communicating with Registrar’s Office.
- Promote, recruit and advise students in the RMI certificate program.
- Direct the creation of all program marketing and respond to all community inquiries.
- Attend industry trade association meetings and events to build relationships, promote the program to potential students and industry partners, and seek opportunities for students enrolled in the program.
- Act as the first point of contact for inquiry from professors, and community members
- Cultivate partnerships with industry associations, industry professionals, and companies. Regularly attend industry association meetings, such as Professional Independent Insurance Agents of Colorado (PIIAC), RIMS, CPCU, as well as meet with industry human resource personnel (HR), training and development supervisors, regional managers, and other entities in the insurance industry to promote and provide information regarding the RMI program.
- Develop relationships with recruiters and hiring managers to generate internship and permanent employment opportunities.
- Work closely with the Business School Development Officer to prospect, solicit and steward financial support from companies, organizations and alumni.
- Oversee the selection of scholarship recipients.
- Develop linkages between RMI courses and professional industry certifications.
- Supervise and direct activities related to student recruitment
- Develop revenue generating events such as continuing education classes and industry symposiums.
- Participate in the Global Risk Management course trip, acts as ambassador with industry executives who join the students as well as those who host the students.
- Nurture and manage an advisory board for providing guidance, student mentoring, and financial support.
The salary range (or the hiring range) for this position has been established at $78,478 - $145,968The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of postingThe University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services
QualificationsKnowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to act as a team player including motivating and directing subordinates.
- Must be sensitive to cultural, political, and geographical differences and work well with administration, faculty, and students.
- Must have the capability and flexibility to adjust to changing work schedule requirements.
- Strong network and affiliation with RMI industry leaders and associations.
- Strong knowledge of the RMI industry and academic and governmental communities.
- 10+ years risk management and insurance industry experience.
- Extensive involvement with a university as a lecturer, student mentor, or advisor
- Masters’ degree in a field related to the work assignment
- Compelling statement of support for diversity, equity and inclusion.
- 15 years of risk management and insurance industry experience
- Hold an industry designation such as CPCU, CIC, ARM or CFP.
- 3-5 years of excellent performance as a full- or part-time instructor
- Successful experience fundraising
- Demonstrated ability to manage an advisory board
May 28, 2021Unposting Date: