Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Digital Communications Fellow (Sanford Title)
(Job code 383, Level 0)
Sanford School of Public Policy
This fulltime position in the Duke University Sanford School of Public Policy, a top10 public policy school, is focused on graphic design, social media/video/audio storytelling to increase awareness of the research and programs of the school.
This position is designed as a 1-year opportunity. This position will serve as the multimedia producer (video/audio/graphic design) for projects produced in-house at the Sanford School of Public Policy
In addition, this position is a key member of the team that produces podcasts and videos for the school. Key audiences for the multimedia content include the public policy community (policymakers and scholars), the Duke community (leaders, faculty, staff and students), Sanford community (faculty/staff/students), prospective students, alumni and friends.
This position will coordinate with the school's communications team, centers, programs and the entire Duke community. The Fellow will be supervised by the Digital Content Strategist and Marketing and will have significant interaction with all members of the Sanford School’s communications office.
A detailed description of functional areas and tasks follows:
Multimedia Content Production (50%):
• Create and assist with multimedia content production.
• Take photographs, develop slide shows, design flyers, social media graphics and posters.
• Shoot video with various cameras including DSLR, high quality camcorder, etc
• Edit videos
• Assist in Policy 360, Ways & Means and other podcast/audio production including coordinating with guests, writing questions and scripts, scheduling interviews, transcribing tape and editing audio
• Archive photographs
Social Media (25%)
As directed by the school’s Digital Communications Strategist, implement a variety of social media campaigns and measure their effectiveness at raising the school’s profile among key audiences.
The school’s social media channels currently include Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn. Job duties include:
• Assist with development of campaigns and goals and carry out campaigns (such as #HumansofDukeSanford).
• Monitor and comment on social media during live events (i.e., live tweeting).
• Research Twitter keywords/tags for targeted news tips and stories, develop Twitter lists of media contacts, and create new lists. Conduct similar research with other social media tools.
• Monitor traffic on social networks and assist with creation of analytics reports to monitor effectiveness and reach of the school's social media channels.
• Manage team of student social media contributors.
Website creation/maintenance (25%)
• Update the Sanford School of Public Policy website.
• Occasionally create small WordPress websites.
• Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Position requires communications, analytical, and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree program in journalism, public relations, English or digital media production, as well as a proven record of being able to use social media tools effectively.
None required beyond education OR AN EQUIVALENT OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
In addition, the successful candidate will possess the following qualities/attributes:
• Demonstrated experience in photography/videography and/or audio production
• Demonstrated experience in graphic design
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
• Excellent coordination and organizational skills
• Enthusiasm for digital content creation/curation
• Through knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
• Internet research skills
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to provide information updates to various audiences
• Customer service orientation
• Experience in journalism or marketing is a plus
• Interest in public affairs and public policy is a plus
• Duke alumni encouraged to apply
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.