Search #: 495288JOB SUMMARY
Work type: Full-time
Location: Hartford Campus
Categories: Information Technology
The Connecticut Education Network (CEN) is Connecticut’s trusted internet partner, committed to our member community and its success. By honoring this commitment, we have grown the member customer network and maintained our reputation as one of the most valued Internet Service Providers serving CT for over 20 years. Join CEN to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do, where you do it, and contributing to the mission and vision that provides unprecedented value to Connecticut.
CEN, through the University of Connecticut Information Technology Services (ITS), has an amazing opportunity for a Cybersecurity professional to join the network service team. The incumbent will manage and enhance CEN’s security infrastructure, customer service offerings, provide “DevSecOps” type support leveraging automation and self-service capabilities, develop API integrations for security tools, and generally advance the security of, and visibility into the network.
The successful candidate will bring high-level experience and support with a comprehensive knowledge of specific information security (IS) network methodologies, practices, processes, and software packages and a conceptual understanding of other IS security procedures and/or policies.
The University of Connecticut has been named the top public university in New England for over a decade and is ranked among the top public universities in the nation. The University of Connecticut is also a Carnegie Foundation Research University, a prestigious honor shared by only the nation's top higher education institutions.
The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and a highly desirable work environment. Benefits include: a defined contribution with match or defined benefit program retirement options; excellent and affordable healthcare options; 21 paid vacation days per year in addition to paid sick leave and 12 paid holidays; and employee and dependent tuition waivers at the University of Connecticut.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the senior technical security lead, final escalation point for security design, operations, incident response, root cause analysis, and negotiations with vendors.
- Develop and support CEN’s security infrastructure including but not limited to: firewalls, DDoS mitigation system, filtering, load balancers, logging, SIEM, and identity access management.
- Proactively analyze network traffic, system logs, and other sources using commercial or open/community source security scripts/tools to identify threats or incidents.
- Draft scripts or deploy programs to assist with automation, provisioning, and/or telemetry, and to ensure the integrity of resources to dependent systems.
- Produce and maintain engineering plans, operating procedures, diagrams, models, and standards as they relate to network security design, deployment, and operations.
- Research, recommend, implement, and support appropriate security tools and countermeasures to reflect the evolving security terrain and trends; perform manual penetration testing and reports as needed.
- Interact with customer stakeholders, forge relationships, and contribute to the development of the technical community by hosting workshops, training, and/or events and mentor technical staff on security best practices and recommend training programs to encourage cross-team competency.
- Expected travel may be 30% for on-site support of the network and interactions with the community and/or vendors. May directly collaborate with UConn ISO staff as needed.
- Participate in on-call rotation, including after-hours escalation support and/or perform off-hour changes on an as-needed basis.
- Performs related work as required
RELATED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Problem Solving: Demonstrates sound analytic and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are loosely defined and/or where information is available but must be further manipulated. Once decisions are made, is able to follow and direct action to implement intended results. Breaks a problem down into manageable pieces and implements effective timely solutions. Openly and directly confronts issues until resolved.
- Team Orientation: Builds relationships with peers and other departments to achieve objectives. Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above self. Responsibilities are assigned with some latitude for setting priorities and decision-making using established policies and procedures. Results are reviewed with the next-level team lead/manager for clarification and direction before proceeding.
- Planning and Project Management: Works with, or serves as, the project lead in identifying those project tasks that are most important, establishes clear priorities, and understands the larger picture. Executes project tasks and creates documentation as required.
- Physical Demands: This position involves extended periods of sitting and the extensive use of computer and office equipment. May involve stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or working on step ladders. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment. Must be able to lift 50 lbs to shoulder height.
- Associate's degree and four years of directly related experience OR Bachelor’s degree in a related field and two years of related experience OR six years of related experience and one to three years of direct experience working in a large enterprise or service provider network information security role.
- Excellent understanding of OSI layers 1-4.
- Experience leveraging IP routing protocols such as BGP, OSPF, and/or ISIS.
- Demonstrated understanding of network diagnostic and troubleshooting tools, such as the ability to perform detailed analysis on packet capture data
- Demonstrated experience with Network flow data (i.e., NetFlow, sFlow, IPFIX) or related forms of flow records and session summary data
- Programming/development skills (preferably in Python, PERL, and Powershell)
- Demonstrated experience managing enterprise security devices/platforms from vendors such as Fortinet, Palo Alto, Arbor/NetScout, f5, iBoss, Splunk, Cisco, and/or Juniper.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Excellent time management, prioritization, and planning skills
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) field.
- 5 years of demonstrated experience in a complex enterprise or service provider network environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of computer security concepts including Identity & Access Management, Network Security, Application Security, and Incident Management.
- Familiar with IT Security frameworks and relevant regulatory obligations and audit requirements (GDPR, SOX, NIST, ISO 31000, PCI, FERPA, and/or AICPA/SOC2)
- One or more certifications such as CISM, CISSP, Cisco CyberOps, CCNP Security, Fortinet NSE, Palo PCNSA, or better.
- Demonstrated understanding of a wide array of enterprise applications/services including DNS, SMTP, IIS, Apache, LDAP, SQL, RADIUS, TACACS, etc.
- Working knowledge of network security concepts and technologies, including but not limited to firewalls, IDS/IPS, proxy servers, access control systems, and web application firewalls.
This is a full-time, annually renewable position. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/employee-benefits-overview/. For additional information about the University visit: http://www.uconn.edu/.TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495288 to upload a resume, cover letter, that demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Screening will begin immediately.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on July 5, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: May 28 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 05 2021 Eastern Daylight Time