Associate/Full Professor – Chief, Division of Critical Care Medicine (74981)Location:
Gainesville, FLOpen Date:
May 27, 2021Description:
The Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Florida College of Medicine – Gainesville is seeking a Critical Care trained anesthesiologist at the tenure or non-tenure accruing level of Associate/Full Professor for the position of Chief, Division of Critical Care Medicine.
Our critical care anesthesiologists provide care for what are some of the most acutely ill patients in the United States. The division boasts a vibrant, growing academic practice with a strong critical care medicine fellowship program. In addition, the division provides Critical Care coverage for 5 ICUs including Cardiac Surgery, Thoracic Surgery/Lung Transplant/Vascular Surgery, Trauma ICU, Surgical ICU, and Burn Unit (with planned new Vascular ICU).
The duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to the value of diversity and inclusion and contribute to the organizational culture of mutual respect.
- Leadership: Work with department chair to provide stable, supportive leadership for the division as it expands to meet the academic and clinical needs of the area.
- Submit a written summary of divisional activity to the chair on a quarterly basis.
- Manage educational and research activities of the division in alignment with and support of the mission of the COM, and the department.
- Responsible for divisional obligations for compliance.
- Responsible for financial management of the division including management of faculty and of support staff. Make recommendations regarding resource deployment.
- Establish processes and practices within the division that are transparent and fair.
- Culture: Establish an intentional culture where people want to be. This includes a civil culture of mentoring faculty, supporting their development, and encouraging collaborative endeavors.
- Clinical coverage: assure adequate staffing of critical care faculty 24/7/365. This includes managing vacation and travel of CCM faculty and staff.
- Regular meetings: Hold regular meetings to serve as a platform for faculty to provide input and as a conduit for communication.
- Serve as a positive advocate and role model for the division, department, and institution.
- Personnel accountability: responsible for initial discussions when there are personnel issues. Makes recommendations to chair/administrator regarding personnel.
- Recruitment: Identify potential areas for recruitment. Work with department chair and institution to recruit the best faculty and residents.
- Serve as Co-Director of the Critical Care Organization for Adult Surgical Critical Care.
- Serve as Co-director of all adult surgical ICUs with the department of surgery.
- Co-develop plans with the CMO/COS to provide more comprehensive critical care.
Department anesthesiologists practice at UF Health hospitals in Gainesville, FL (UF Health Shands Hospital, UF Health Heart and Vascular Hospital, UF Health Neuromedicine hospital, and Shands Cancer Hospital), at the University of Florida alongside 80+ faculty anesthesiologists, 95 residents, 20 fellows, and 88 CRNA/CAAs. The department cover 67 operating rooms, 16 NORA locations, performs 55,000+ anesthesia cases a year, and publishes an average of 130+ peer reviewed publications per year.
UF Health is the Southeast’s most comprehensive academic health center and part of one of the nation’s Top 10 public universities, unique for our diverse constellation of health colleges, centers and institutes, hospitals, faculty practices, and patient care programs.
University employment benefits include 403(b) plan, 457 plan, individual and family health insurance, own occ disability insurance, domestic partner benefits, sovereign immunity malpractice status, Baby Gator childcare eligibility available on-site, and others. Gainesville is a vibrant, sun drenched, university city with a low cost of living, Division I NCAA sports, and no state income tax.
Abundant opportunities exist to develop independent and collaborative research as well as innovative education models. Qualifications:
This position requires skill in clinical care, DO/MD, ABA certification with special qualifications in critical care medicine, research, education, and credentials to obtain a State of Florida physician's license. This position is for the level of Associate/Full Professor. Application Instructions:
Applications should include a curriculum vitae and cover letter. Applicants may also attach three letters of reference or a list of three references.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and continue until the position is filled. Only completed applications will be reviewed at this time.
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.