Job no: 494003
Work type: Staff Full-time
Categories: Academic & Student Services
Butler University seeks a collaborative leader to join the Student Affairs team as the Director of the Efroymson Diversity Center. With a strong focus on student success, the Director will work closely with campus partners to ensure a strong network of support for students from marginalized and underrepresented backgrounds and identities. This individual will advance BUBeWell by developing co-curricular experiences for students that promote greater cultural awareness and understanding, social justice, and culturally-relevant leadership development.
- Contribute to the University's strategic goal of creating an intentionally diverse, inclusive, and equitable learning and working environment.
- Provide leadership for the Efroymson Diversity Center and ensure it is a visible, accessible, intentionally inclusive, intersectional, supportive and welcoming campus resource that contributes to student belonging and success.
- Develop and implement evidence-based strategies to support the retention and graduation of students from marginalized and underrepresented backgrounds and identities.
- Using the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS), align the Diversity Center with established best practices for multicultural programs and services. Implement a robust assessment strategy for continuous improvement and for measuring the impact of all Diversity Center programs and services.
- Collaborate with Student Affairs colleagues and other campus partners to ensure a strong university-wide network of support to enhance student success.
- Work closely with the Center for Faith & Vocation to offer collaborative, intersectional programming that promotes learning and dialogue across difference.
- Strengthen curricular/ co-curricular integration by working in partnership with faculty teaching Social Justice & Diversity (SJD) core curriculum courses. Identify opportunities to maximize the Diversity Center for learning and engagement around diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Advance BU|BeWell by developing co-curricular experiences for students that promote greater cultural awareness and understanding, social justice, and culturally-relevant leadership development.
- Oversee initiatives that support the successful transition of students to the Butler community, including Dawg Days, the Dr. John Morton-Finney Diversity Scholar Program, and Multicultural Mentors.
- Ensure successful operations within the Diversity Center, including managing budgets and supervising/ evaluating student staff and the Assistant Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate should be a collaborative, innovative leader with a fierce commitment to supporting diverse students. A master’s degree in student affairs, higher education, or related field is required, as is a minimum of 5 years of full-time experience working directly with college students to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion, preferably in a multicultural center or student activities office.
The successful candidate will possess the following professional qualifications and personal characteristics:
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ability to establish and maintain strong, collaborative working relationships
- Experience working directly with students from marginalized/ underrepresented backgrounds and identities
- Demonstrated success developing/ assessing programs and services to support the academic success of diverse student learners
- Experience advising student organizations and providing opportunities for leadership development
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective partnerships with faculty
- Demonstrated understanding of college student development
- Experience effectively managing personnel and budgets
- Experience implementing strategies to advance diversity, equity and inclusion for students at Predominately White Institutions (PWIs)
- Experience with and a desire to have a high level of engagement with students
- Creative, innovative, collaborative, glass half full, can-do attitude!
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Advertised: May 26, 2021
Applications close: July 26, 2021