Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
The Assistant Director, Alumni Communication manages and implements alumni communication activities that showcase the value and importance of alumni engagement and philanthropic support of the Fuqua School of Business. The Assistant Director, Alumni Communication reports to the Director of Communications and Donor Relations and collaborates with the Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) team and other Fuqua and Duke University departments on overall strategy, initiatives and events.
• Develop a multi-channel communication strategy to reach a variety of audiences, including alumni, students, donors, and parents, to build awareness about the value and benefit of their lifelong engagement with Fuqua and the strength of the Fuqua alumni network and brand.
• Use metrics and outcomes research to ascertain trends in market segmentation, messaging, and channels, and to support future channel and messaging decisions.
• In collaboration with the Alumni Relations team, create communication that illustrates opportunities for participation in activities such as signature events, reunions, lifelong learning, and regional events, and effectively educates alumni in various constituencies and segments about programs, services, and opportunities to engage as volunteers and donors.
• Ensure consistency in messaging, content, and tone across various communication channels and for multiple objectives, including alumni engagement, fundraising, donor relations, and volunteer engagement and stewardship.
• Lead communication efforts for Fuqua’s reunion program in collaboration with Fuqua’s reunion team, including social media strategies, fundraising communication, and messaging to encourage attendance.
• Advise on best practices for using various channels to communicate with students and alumni, such as social media, group chats, web sites, video, direct mail, and email.
• Manage the Fuqua Development and Alumni Relations social media presence, suggesting appropriate platforms and cadence for particular messages, creating content that amplifies Fuqua’s development and alumni relations messaging, and increasing the number of followers.
• Manage Fuqua’s alumni web presence, creating and organizing content, suggesting story ideas, and engaging Fuqua staff to continuously enhance the user experience.
• In consultation with director, guide communication program coordinator’s work activities and execution of communication tasks and tactics.
• Coordinate with Assistant Director for Annual Giving to create targeted communications to engage recent graduates in philanthropic support of the school from graduation to their five-year reunion.
• Consult to the Development and Alumni Relations team and the larger Fuqua community on promotion and marketing of events and important messages that are aimed at alumni, donors, and parents.
• Support development of Fuqua’s Duke-wide campaign communication to create messages that highlight Fuqua’s goals, fundraising needs, and case for support.
• Stay up to date on school news, faculty research, events, fundraising priorities, and alumni activities to incorporate into communications to constituents.
• Collaborate with the Fuqua’s marketing department, Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) staff, and Duke Alumni Engagement and Development.
• Attend and support Development and Alumni Relations events and programs as needed.
Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
• Five years’ work experience with increasing responsibility preferred but only requires one of experience in alumni affairs.
• An understanding of institutional fundraising and experience in development, alumni relations, or higher education preferred.
• Successful project management experience, including meeting numerous deadlines and objectives and managing multiple concurrent projects with limited resources.
• Experience with various social media platforms and curiosity and flexibility to embrace new platforms as they come online.
• Refined written and oral communication and customer service skills.
• Experience and success in data-driven decision making.
• Experience and comfort in interacting with students, alumni and parents, including senior level executives.
• Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and experience handling confidential information.
• Willingness and ability to work on evenings or weekends as necessary.
• Strong work ethic in a fast-paced, results-oriented team environment.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Windows, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and willingness and ability to master proprietary database tools. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
• Creativity, adaptability, diplomatic skills and sense of humor.
• Experience in higher education, alumni relations, or development preferred.
• Knowledge of The Fuqua School of Business and/or Duke University preferred.
Note: The above job description is not to be construed as a complete listing of assignments that may be given to any employee, nor are such assignments restricted to those precisely listed in this description.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.