Director, Microscopy & Imaging FacilityLocation:
Clinton, NYOpen Date:
May 24, 2021Description:
Management of a teaching and research microscopy and imaging facility, including maintenance of instruments, ordering of supplies, teaching courses using the microscopes and other equipment, and providing assistance to all users of the facility.
This position may transition from administrator to faculty beginning July 1, 2021 pending Board approval.
- Manage the operation of the Microscopy and Imaging Facility, including light, confocal, and scanning electron microscopes, x-ray microanalyzer, microtomes, critical point dryer, and other preparative and imaging equipment used for teaching and research in the facility. Order and prepare supplies and equipment, schedule user time, and keep pertinent records.
- Maintain light, confocal, and electron microscopes and ancillary equipment in optimal working condition. Perform routine and emergency maintenance, and assist contracted support personnel.
- Maintain the image analysis hardware and software, and associated equipment to serve the needs of the department.
- Support and develop lab microscopy activities in Biology lab courses, and teach two courses per year that demonstrate the principles and use of microscopy in biological and other applications.
- Provide technical assistance to students and faculty in Biology and other departments using the equipment in the Microscopy and Imaging Facility.
- Store, monitor, and dispose of all chemicals used in the facility and maintain safety standards.
- Provide tours and demonstration of the Microscopy and Imaging Facility for Hamilton College academic programs and for others, as time is available.
- Participate as a regular member in department meetings and other departmental activities.
Master’s degree in Biology and minimum of three years experience using and maintaining either scanning electron microscopes or confocal microscopes. Knowledge of digital image processing and associated computer skills are required.
Knowledge of electron and confocal microscopy equipment, techniques, and procedures. Knowledge of imaging techniques and procedures. Knowledge of computing and digital imaging. Excellent organizational and time management skills. Effective teaching skills. Ability to work well with a wide range of people. Aptitude for developing new skills.Application Instructions:
Please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.