Date: May 25, 2021
Title: Executive Director of Admissions
Description: Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Enrollment and Student Success, the Executive Director of Admissions is responsible for providing both strategic and tactical leadership in the design of the institution’s recruitment strategy. They are responsible for the operational management of the Admissions Office, recruitment and all admissions related activities. They are expected to make sophisticated use of data, employ high-impact best practices, and inspire others to work collegially in achieving the College’s enrollment goals. The Executive Director of Admissions is responsible for meeting the enrollment goals of the College through cooperation with other key departments in the development of recruiting targets and strategies; promoting the College, its programs and uniqueness; attracting and recruiting students with the potential for academic success; developing relationships with external constituents; and providing timely and comprehensive services to students throughout the admissions process.
- Lead the development, implementation and assessment of a comprehensive recruiting and admissions plan.
- Meet new student enrollment goals by effectively developing pipelines and managing all key components of the admissions funnel.
- Develop strategies for application processing, file management, and prospective student communications with members of the marketing & communications team.
- Knowledgeable in and have the ability to analyze regional and national market trends and academic program demands.
- Oversee all recruitment and admission related events.
- Build and maintain partnerships between admissions and key internals partners including but not limited to academic affairs, athletics, financial aid, marketing & communications, and student experience.
- Collaborates with the Director of Financial Aid in leveraging the College's institutional aid to optimize enrollment.
- Partner with external partners to ensure prospect, inquiry and application generation activities meet institutional goals.
- Ensures that prospective students and applicants receive timely and exemplary service during the recruiting and admissions process.
- Create a comprehensive recruitment plan including goals and targets, communications and directives to be fulfilled by individual staff members.
- Compiles and analyzes existing data on recruitment and admissions (i.e. sources, demographic trends, conversion rates, marketing/advertising outcomes) to develop an effective student recruitment and admissions plan.
- Benchmark performance of all segments of the admissions process.
- Oversees the development and preparation of all printed and digital admissions materials.
- Direct oversight of the communications plan, including management of email marketing, text messages, management of mailing lists and relationships with vendors, and responsibility for driving the print production calendar.
- Manages the operational budget for the department.
- Supervise the Admissions staff: directly supervise 4 Associate Directors, one Transfer Coordinator, 2 Senior Assistant Directors and 2 Assistant Directors. Provides indirect supervision to the Operations team through the Associate Director for Technology & operations.
- Serve on institutional wide committees as appointed to or by expectation of position.
- Act as the “public” face of the Admissions Office, making presentations at on and off campus events
- The Executive Director is expected to comply with all applicable College, Federal, State, local and associational regulations.
- As a representative of the College, the Executive Director is expected to comport themselves in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus.
- The Executive Director is expected to participate in signature College wide events including but not limited to Commencement activities, True Blue Weekend, Honors Convocation, Student Showcase and WickWeek.
- Completes other projects as necessary.
Qualifications: Minimum requirements for this position are a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, masters preferred, and at least 7 years of experience in a senior administrative role or in a leadership position in admissions or enrollment. Must have a clean driving record, valid driver’s license and be insurable by the College.
- Requires visionary and innovative leadership, excellence in team building, highly developed written and oral communication skills.
- Progressive supervision of professional-level staff, professional developer and team oriented services provider.
- Extensive experience in using qualitative and quantitative data to drive effective marketing, recruitment and admission programs.
- Ability to manage operational aspects of the recruitment and admission functions, including effect budgeting and fiscal management, personnel and strategic planning processes.
- Computer Skills: Must have working knowledge of Google Mail, Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point, including an advanced understanding of spreadsheets. Experience with CRM management, preferably TargetX, and Ellucian platforms.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Decision Making - Ability to make critical decisions while following College procedures.
- Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Presentation Skills - Ability to effectively present information in-person or virtually.
- Relationship Building - Ability to effectively build relationships with students, families, and key internal and external stakeholders.
- Tolerance - Ability to work successfully with a variety of people without making judgments.
- Tactful - Ability to show consideration for and maintain good relations with others.
- Proficient use of web-based technologies, including CRM management and student information systems.
- High attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills and time management skills.
- All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the start of employment.
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,200 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce. The College features a Liberal Arts in Practice general education curriculum and aspires to “be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning.” Hartwick operates as a community of learners where there is a very real sense of belonging and connection. By joining Hartwick, you become part of a group of people who work together, share in our successes, and celebrate our accomplishments. All positions at Hartwick contribute to the education and development of students with the opportunity to see the impact on future leaders – what you do at Hartwick really matters.Our beautiful 425-acre campus is located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, New York—a charming town near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, flexible scheduling, opportunities to engage in athletic and cultural events (concerts, exhibits, and lectures) and tuition benefits for eligible employees and their dependents. Hartwick College prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression and is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening “the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community.” Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. Hartwick College is committed to providing a safe and secure educational and employment environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process. All applicants are asked to submit the following materials with their online applications:
A cover letter;A resume; A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/); andThe names and contact information for three references, with annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor).
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.