Job DescriptionUniversity of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is currently seeking an Electrical Systems Project Reviewer to join Department of Design and Engineering.
This person is responsible for reviewing construction plans and related documents to ensure compliance of proposed construction with applicable codes and university standards. Responsible for the review of design documents for new and existing buildings, renovations and remodeling work.
The selected candidate provides technical expertise in a professional field such as architecture, structural, electrical or mechanical engineering. Performs technical analysis and design of projects within professional discipline. Performs technical review of consultant designs within professional discipline. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021). BENEFITS:
This EXEMPT position offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provide technical reviews of all construction documents (design submissions, RFI’s, CDC’s, submittals and close-out documents) for compliance with standard codes of their discipline and further for compliance with the agreed upon university procedures, Provide written review comments, and conduct professional analysis of consultant submissions to determine compliance with University requirements
- Provide technical support throughout all phases of Design, Construction, and Close-Out, and participate in meetings
- Provide visual inspection and quality control by monitoring construction progress. Ensure compliance with intended results, codes, regulations, and requested standards. Escalate issues as necessary.
- Review materials and methods, questions, conflicts, and changes. Manage client issues in relation to construction decisions and preferences.
- Record any relevant or outstanding issues in project and/or technical specialty databases/ reports.
- Provide maintenance support and/or technical advice to other departments and schools throughout the University system.
- Assist consultants in understanding and implementing university and client standards and requirements.
- Participate in review and update of discipline specific university master specifications, drawings, details, campus standards, and procedures manuals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s in one of the following options: Architecture, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Structural, or Architectural Engineering Experience:
Six (6) years of experience in design and construction of institutional or commercial building projects. Supervisory Experience:
Licensed Architect or Licensed Professional Engineer preferred. Other:
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of best practices in design and construction processes.
- Skill in prioritizing ongoing and new projects, as well as facilitating the timely completion of project review and submittal and RFI response.
- Ability to effectively communicate and negotiate with a broad range of internal and external individuals or agency representatives.
- Skill in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and process improvements.
- Computer skills in relevant design review and office applications, including Bluebeam, eBuilder, and the Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to evaluate alternative designs and associated costs.
- Skill in coordinating design concepts with other architectural and engineering disciplines.
- Ability to address multiple tasks, technical issues, and contingencies simultaneously.
- Ability to evaluate proposals, design and construction modifications and change orders.
- Ability to communicate and interact with, as well as support effective partnerships with, peers and subordinates.
- Oral and written communication skills, presentation skills, and interpersonal skills.
Commensurate with education and experience UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
Division of Facilities MaintenanceJob Posting:
May 24, 2021Unposting Date: