Job location: Florida Polytechnic University South at Polk State College Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
Located along Florida’s I-4 High Tech Corridor, Florida Poly opened its doors in August 2014 as the state’s 12th university and the only one dedicated to core subjects in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM education). The non-traditional academic environment focuses on applied learning, specifically in technology and engineering. Small class sizes give faculty the opportunity to work closely with high-caliber students, and the most advanced technology, including a Supercomputer, 3D printing lab, media lab and nanotechnology lab, sets Florida Poly apart from other state universities. Florida Poly’s innovative approach to higher education allows students to learn strong fundamentals within a traditional university department structure, while giving them opportunities to apply their learning through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations like Cyber Security, Big Data Analytics, Machine Intelligence and more. The University partners closely with industry leading firms, and faculty members are rewarded for more than just publishing. Industry involvement, problem solving, and the commercialization of technology and research through start-ups and small businesses are encouraged. Job Title Graphic Designer Job Description Summary Florida’s only public university exclusively teaching science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) is looking for exceptional candidates to serve as the Graphic Designer in the department of University Relations.
The Graphic Designer at Florida Poly will be the University’s primary in-house artist and visual communicator. Responsible for helping manage the University’s brand and visual signatures by creating designs, graphics, templates, photos, logos, icons, and animations. Develops and produces print and digital material. Projects may include graphic designs, layout work, exhibits, advertisements, presentations and slides, brochures, books, newsletters, flyers, photos, videos, and animations. Job Description
- Develops and designs print and digital collateral/assets, including but not limited to: technical drawings, illustrations, posters, newsletters, brochures, flyers, advertisements, exhibits, events, displays, social media graphics, and templates that adhere to the university’s brand standards.
- Provides guidance and assistance to colleagues and vendors working on graphic design projects. Collaborates with and supports all University departments with any design project needs (collateral materials, promotional items, signage, flyers, etc.)
- May assist with the design of email blasts and websites.
- Collaborates with colleagues and vendors regarding project specifications such as paper stock, graphic content, and layout and media requirements; may create composites and develop concepts depending on needs.
- Works with vendors to obtain project quotes and approve proofs. Oversees usage of University marks to ensure proper application.
- Manages relationships with vendors including freelance designers, creative agencies, photographers, printers, and related digital platform providers.
- Provides direction during university photoshoots and manages photography assets. May also serve as a staff photographer.
- Maintains department files of completed assignments and accurate logs of work in progress (such as time devoted to project and materials used). Manages University photos and digital assets.
- Works with clients to maintain good customer service by providing updates in a timely manner.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of computer-generated graphics programs such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge and skill in graphic design and layout.
- Knowledge of printing procedures and requirements.
- Knowledge of photography and photo processing techniques.
- Skill in effective communication, both verbal and written.
- Ability to manage projects from start to completion with minimal oversight.
- Ability to create designs based on measurable objectives and calls to action.
- Experience with Mac operating systems and programs.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Experience with Google Docs is a plus.
- Experience with MailChimp, Pardot, Exact Target, or other email platforms a plus.
- Experience with animation and/or video editing is a plus.
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Design, Advertising, Digital Media, or related field, with three (3) to five (5) years of experience in related positions.
- Photography experience a plus.
- Video or animation experience a plus.
- Basic copyediting ability or knowledge of AP style a plus.
- Project management experience a plus.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check, which may include a Level II screening as required by Florida Statute §435.04.
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: This position is salary exempt. The normal work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., however, occasional overtime (weekends and evenings) may be required. Travel between campus locations may be required.
TARGET HIRING SALARY: $ 45,000 - $ 49,000, commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: The position is open until filled; however, the review of applications will commence immediately.
APPLICATION PROCESS: In addition to completing the online application, all Applicants are required to upload the following as an attachment to the application (preferably in PDF format):
• Cover Letter
• List of at least three (3) professional references (names and contact information)
Florida Polytechnic University is an equal opportunity/equal access institution. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to provide equal opportunity for employment and educational opportunities to all (including applicants for employment, employees, applicants for admission, students, and others affiliated with the University) without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or genetic information.
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before continuing through the application. Once your application has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline.
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of the job announcements. This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.