Director of Career & Student SuccessABOUT SMC
Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.
Director of Career & Student Success Job Description
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
Job Summary: The Director of Career & Student Success works collaboratively with the SMC Experience (SMCX) team and all members of the Spartanburg Methodist College community to provide a dynamic and comprehensive program to holistically support students academically and experientially as they pursue a degree. The Director is specifically responsible for overseeing internship programs, career and success programming, first-year experience, and graduate employment rate.
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
- Teach courses within the Professional Development, Freshman, and Sophomore Year Experience disciplines as assigned.
- Supervise the Employer Relations Manager to grow employer and community network for the college.
- Supervise Career & Success Coaches to ensure quality interactions and improve student retention. Identify opportunities for growth among employees and service offerings.
- Support the Dean in the development and implementation of student achievement benchmarks and assessment methods.
- Develop and manage programming for Pioneer Power-Up, the college’s new freshman orientation.
- Develop and manage Fall, Spring, and Summer break programming focused on leadership, academic intervention, and internship preparation.
- Develop student success and exploratory career workshops, programming, and outreach on campus.
- Prepare students for graduate school admissions process, working as a liaison between graduate programs and SMC students.
- Support interdepartmental programming, such as Enrollment Days and Commencement Weekend.
- Advise students on career planning and the employment
- Engage with the faculty and academic advisors to develop their knowledge bases about career pathways and employment
- Collaborate with academic advisors, faculty, and staff to build relationships and provide appropriate referrals for additional support or resources.
- Effectively utilize SMC career tools: Handshake, PathwayU, and
- Ensures timely and accurate data collection, analysis, and reporting for both departmental assessment and student
- Actively participates in the campus community, including attendance at athletic and/or extra-curricular events and advising student clubs and organizations.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of a wide variety of career paths and skills required for them.
- Strong content knowledge of student success strategies and best practices.
- Excellence in oral communication.
- Strong organizational talents, ability to multi-task, and effective use of electronic office tools such as Microsoft Teams, shared Microsoft Docs, Excel, electronic calendaring, etc.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Ability to develop appropriate, welcoming, and productive relationships with a diverse student population.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with college constituents and the community.
- Strong problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to make engaging presentations to small and large groups.
This work is normally performed in an office setting and will require significant contact with students, faculty, staff and the community. The work will include public presentations on and off-campus. Some evening and weekend responsibilities.
- Ability to move around campus.
- Manual and physical dexterity and visual acuity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer monitor, in handwritten form, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
Education and Experience:
HOW TO APPLY:
- Master’s Degree required.
- Experience: Management level in higher education is preferred.
Please send a letter of interest, resume and list of three (3) references to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to [email protected]
- Application open until filled.
FLSA: Fulltime, Exempt
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.