:Part-time Police Officer, Santa Fe College Police Department Opportunity Type
:Part-time Position Type
:Part-time Career Service Position Classification
:Non-Exempt Home Department
:Police Pay Grade
:C5 Open until filled
Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community colleges in the United States. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live.
Compensation: Hourly Rate of $17.47 as per the Santa Fe College Salary Schedule. Limited to no more than 28.5 hours per week. Description
The Santa Fe College Police Department (SFPD) is an award-winning fully sworn police agency dedicated to serving in partnership with the college and surrounding communities. SFPD is responsible for patrolling SF’s Main Northwest Campus, as well as SF’s six (6) Educational Centers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 day a year to ensure a safe and secure campus for students, faculty, staff and other visitors of SF campuses.
The SFPD is seeking a qualified art-time Police Officer to preserve the peace, provide general police services and enforce municipal, county, state, and federal laws, as well as the rules and regulations of Santa Fe College. The Police Officer helps to establish a uniform police presence on campus and is responsible for campus law enforcement to ensure the protection of college personnel, students, property, and equipment. The Police Officer is required to work in all weather conditions, as well as varying hours and shifts both days and nights with periodic rotations and changes in work schedules. The Police Officer encounters emergencies, as well as dangerous, potentially hazardous situations and materials, therefore this position must be proficient in the high liability skills as defined by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (CJSTC). Responsibilities and Duties
- Enforce the law courteously, tactfully, firmly, impartially and ethically.
- Patrol assigned areas, assist students, staff and the public; observe infractions and/or violations taking action as appropriate.
- Report unsafe or suspicious incidents taking appropriate action as necessary.
- Report unsafe conditions such as obstructions on streets or sidewalks, holes, leaking or faulty utility services, or other unusual conditions that might endanger the public.
- Respond to dispatch calls for service and investigate problems, disturbances, traffic accidents, crimes, emergencies, and other incidents, including routine calls related to alarms and medical emergency calls; provide assistance and prepare related incident reports.
- Perform security checks of all building and concourses; lock and unlock buildings and classrooms; provide parking and traffic enforcement.
- Conduct accident and crime investigations; prepare comprehensive, complete reports in clear and accurate detail noting observations and actions taken.
- Provide security for various events; set up cones, barricades, signage, security lighting and other tasks necessary for special events.
- Maintain proper care of patrol vehicles, weapons and other law enforcement equipment to ensure operational readiness; use and care for firearms in an effective and efficient manner.
- Provide safety escort services for members of the SF community and bank deposits as necessary.
- Educate and counsel students, staff and visitors on crime prevention techniques and proper safety practices.
- Prepare and preserve evidence in accordance with directives to maintain chain of custody; provide assistance to other law enforcement agencies as per mutual aid agreements; testify in court providing an accurate account of incident.
- Administer first aid as necessary and maintain current first responder certifications at all times.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and privacy according to college rule and the law.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Sergeant, SFPD Qualifications
Required: High school diploma or equivalent and must be eligible to take the State Officer Certification Examination within the next six months and receive a passing score.
Preferred: Associate’s degree in Criminal Justice or relevant field is preferred, as is knowledge of crime prevention and/or community policing concepts.
Additional Requirements: Applicants must have a valid Florida driver license and be authorized to drive for the College. Successfully pass the background investigation, physical examination, drug testing, and polygraph.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
- Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team-player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
- Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
- Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
- Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
- Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
- Analytical Aptitude & Problem Solving - able to analyze information, problems, situations, practices and/or procedures, collect and interpret data, reason logically, establish facts, identify and define existing and potential issues, recognize the interrelationships among elements, draw valid conclusions, develop recommendations, as well as alternative courses of action, select appropriate course, follow up and evaluate.
- Ability to remain calm, exercise good judgement, respond swiftly, effectively, and appropriately to emergency and high stress situations.
- Ability to expeditiously organize, coordinate, manage, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to swiftly assess a situation, determine a logical course of action, and apply the appropriate response.
- Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
- Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
- Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
Application Process: All applicants must complete the SF Employment Application, submit a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts (if applicable) and certifications through the job portal to be considered for this position. College transcripts are required for any college coursework. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made. Official transcripts for purposes of employment are defined as those sent directly from the awarding institution to an agent of Santa Fe.
Contact: Required Documents
:Certification(s), Letter of Intent, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts