Bard College at Simon's RockAssociate Director of Admission and RecruitmentBard College at Simon’s Rock is the only four-year college in the United States specifically designed to allow highly motivated adolescents to fully realize their intellectual and creative potential by beginning college immediately after the 10th or 11th grade. For over 50 years, Simon’s Rock has occupied a unique space in the educational landscape, practicing the simple yet radical idea that many students are ready for college before the age of 18. We strive to do so in an inclusive environment where diverse perspectives are valued. Five years ago, Simon’s Rock opened Bard Academy at Simon's Rock, a two-year high school program for 9th- and 10th-graders on the path to starting college early. The campus is located on 275 rolling and wooded acres in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, the center of the Berkshires and, according to Smithsonian Magazine, “the best small town in America.” Equidistant between New York and Boston, the Berkshires are a site of great natural beauty and numerous outdoor activities, as well as a cultural destination. Bard College at Simon’s Rock and Bard Academy are equal opportunity employers and we encourage applications from those who contribute to our diversity, as the values of equity and inclusion are core to our institutional mission. AA/EOE.Summary of Position
Reporting to the Director of Admission and Enrollment, this position serves to assist with oversight of the Office of Admission and Enrollment. S/he will be a mid-level manager assuming responsibilities for overseeing current and implementing new strategies/procedures for activities associated with the recruitment, conversion and enrollment of students to Bard Academy and Bard College at Simon’s Rock. A significant portion of this position will be to assist with Slate CRM and the further implementation of Slate for the success of engagement, recruitment, communications and enrollment. The Associate Director of Admission will oversee the admission counselors.Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Experience, Skills, and Knowledge
- In collaboration with the Director of Admission and Enrollment Management, develop and lead the implementation, execution and evaluation of a comprehensive, data-driven enrollment plan that is consistent with the institutions strategic goals to meet and exceed enrollment goals.
- Manages application reading and review process. This includes training staff, reading assigned applications, providing weekly status updates to leadership.
- Trains new admission counselors and create staff development for recruitment team. Supervise staff of admission counselors.
- Creates and guide relationships with high schools, community colleges, and other organizations for recruitment with a focus on Independent Counselor/High School Networks.
- Acts as territory manager and recruiter for assigned region. This includes 6 – 8 weeks of travel per season.
- Actively uses the institutions Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system (Slate) and other technologies to build relationships with prospective students, and monitor and track their movement through the admissions process.
- Provides direction and leadership for the day-to-day operations of the team with special emphasis on compliance, efficient use of technology, communications, student literacy, and financial aid planning.
- Interviews prospective students; reviews and maintains applicant files; makes decisions and/or recommendations regarding admissibility; determines merit scholarship eligibility and shares relevant information with applicants and family members.
- Represents the college by conducting/attending on-campus, off-campus, or virtual: interviews, information sessions, forums, receptions, open houses, school visits, and college fairs.
- Partners with Enrollment Marketing to create, edit and/or implement email, web and print publications for prospective students, families and community partners.
- The position serves on campus-wide committees and represents the institution to prospective students, families, Independent and secondary school counselors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and 5-7 years of experience in boarding school/college/university admissions and at least 1-2 years of leadership or supervisory experience (equivalent experience will be considered). Masters preferred.
- Provide solutions and services to meet evolving needs of the admission office to be responsive to changing technology and platform delivery needs. Preferred SLATE CRM experience (1-2 years).
- Ability to lead a strong, resilient, and resourceful performance-driven admissions team.
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities, manage shifting priorities, and handle numerous projects with multiple deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, a highly collaborative approach to day-to-day work and exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills a must skills.
- A thorough understanding of the new student recruitment process.
- Sophisticated understanding of enrollment strategies, market research, social media, admissions, financial aid, and student information systems.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a high-performing team in a fast-paced environment with attention to detail.
- Enthusiasm for shared ideas and ability to work in a team toward institutions goals, sense of urgency and engagement, healthy sense of humor a must.
- Candidate must be goal-oriented and able to multitask.
- Ability to accept feedback, take direction, and be accountable for outcomes.
- Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; additional hours as needed. Occasional weekend work may be required.
To apply, submit a cover letter and résumé to Director of Admission and Enrollment Mitchell Chávez at [email protected]
(please include “Associate Director of Admission and Recruitment” in the subject line). No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Bard Academy and Bard College at Simon’s Rock are equal opportunity employers and we encourage applications from those who contribute to our diversity, as the values of equity and inclusion are core to our institutional mission. Employment is contingent on successful completion of background check.