Department Chair for Clinical Medicine
Department Chair for Clinical Medicine
College of Medicine
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION SPECIFICATIONS
- JOB TITLE: Department Chair for Clinical Medicine
- COLLEGE: Medicine
- SUPERVISOR: Dean for the College of Medicine through the Senior Associate Dean of Clinical Medicine
- REPORTING: Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean of Clinical Medicine, accountable to the other Department Chairpersons; ultimately accountable to the Dean of College of Medicine.
- Doctorate of allopathic medicine in one of the clinical disciplines (e.g. Neurology, internal medicine, pediatrics, emergency medicine, surgery, psychiatry, Ob/GYN, primary care, or other specialties or subspecialties), or equivalent training and experience in allopathic medicine.
- Three to five years in academic institution or equivalent experience in allopathic medical education.
- Track record of outstanding scholarly and/or professional achievement.
- Proven leadership ability to develop and nurture outstanding academic or clinical programs, including interdisciplinary initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the resources of the department, including faculty and staff, physical facilities and budget in accord with University policies and procedures.
- Ability to generate grant funding support to the College and/or University.
- Licensed to practice in medicine in California.
- Providing leadership and governance to all faculty (clinical preceptors, Clerkship Directors, and staff (Clerkship Coordinators, and Administrative Assistants) assigned to the department.
- Supervise Clerkship Coordinators to assign and post students rotation tracks timely each year in advance of the rotations relative to students’ preference.
- Track and coordinate clinical site training agreements (new and renewal) between the sites and the University.
- Shall be mindful and responsive to suggestions and proposals by others including Administration, other department chairs, faculty, staff and students.
- The chair is expected to seek the advice of faculty colleagues and COM administrators in a systematic way, and to provide for the conduct of department affairs in an orderly fashion through department meetings and the appointment of appropriate committees.
- Review and recommend to the Dean professional leaves and other leaves of absence for member of the departments.
- Responsible for evaluation and documenting faculty performance on an annual basis, and to report and document a faculty or staff member’s failure of performing responsibilities and to recommend, when as appropriate, disciplinary action to the Dean.
- Work with supervisor to maintain sufficiency of clinical preceptor’s faculty and clinical sites to deliver the curriculum during third and fourth year of the curriculum.
- Proposing and managing the departmental budget as directed by the Dean in accordance with CNUCOM policies.
- Recommending academic appointment and recruitment of faculty, to establish the clinical departments.
- Working with supervisor to recruit and recommend qualified candidates to the Dean for appointment as clinical preceptor faculty, clinical department chairs, and Clerkship Directors.
- Provide, in collaboration with clinical sites, the necessary pre-clerkship training and complete all clerkship students’ on-boarding requirements.
- Coordinate with Faculty Affair Officer for preceptor training and development.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Clerkship Directors in periodic evaluation of preceptors performances.
- Assigning teaching responsibilities to optimally deliver the professional curriculum.
- Providing opportunity for and assisting each member of the faculty to achieve their optimal professional development in teaching, scholarly activity, and professional service.
- Conducting annual and evaluations of departmental faculty and staff as required by CNUCOM policy, and making recommendations pertaining to salary adjustments and personnel actions to the Dean.
- Reviewing the departmental pool of applicants for promotion and formulate recommendations for academic promotion to the Faculty Academic Rank and Promotion Committee in the College.
- Providing mid-term promotion review and support to faculty planning to apply for promotion.
- Supervise the Clerkship Directors in monitoring the posting of case logs, grades, mid-clerkship assessment and end-of-clerkship summative assessment for each rotation per policy and procedure.
- Work with supervisor and Clerkship Director to establish rotation tracks (sequences of clerkship rotations) for third and fourth year of the curriculum.
- Visit and evaluate clinical sites for clerkship training.
- Shall collaborate and coordinate curriculum design, content, and delivery consistent with mission of the program.
- Coordinate assessment and evaluation with Curriculum Committee in various focus areas including site-to-site comparability studies and analyses, student performances across program learning objectives (PLOs, CLOs, etc).
- Coordinate with other academic officers (Clerkship preceptors, Clerkship Directors etc) in compiling and writing student evaluation consistent with policy on Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) timely each year per policy and procedure.
- Working with the Curriculum Committee to critically review student performances in “Step 2” of licensure exam and make necessary adjustment in clerkship training to enhance learning and student success based on Committee’s recommendation.
- Shall actively participate in maintaining accreditation and the preparation for re-accreditation through systemic data collection, analysis, program review and other quality improvement processes.
- Shall collaborate with Curriculum Committee on improvement of teaching and learning via monitoring and assessment.
- Responsible for compliance with proper health and safety regulations per California Northstate University and CNUCOM health and safety policies.
Please follow the instructions below.
- Curriculum vitae/resume with at least three references.
- Teaching statement.
- Research plan.
- A cover letter articulating how their knowledge, experience, and beliefs have prepared them to function in support of California Northstate University’s vision and mission statements.
- Transcripts showing date of degree conferral; Unofficial transcripts are okay
Please email all documents to the HR Department
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
California Northstate is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Share this job with your network:
Diversity Profile: University
AAUP COMPENSATION SURVEY DATAView more
Apply for Department Chair for Clinical Medicine
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly