Requisition Number:30637Location: Boulder, Colorado Employment Type:University StaffSchedule:Full-TimePosting Close Date:13-Jun-2021Date Posted:19-May-2021 Close All
Job SummaryThe College of Media, Communication and Information (CMCI) at CU Boulder encourages applicants for a Director for Media, Communication and Information Technology! The Director provides strategic leadership, professional staff supervision and technical expertise across CMCI in technology areas spanning instruction, media production, office and research equipment, and software. The Director will work with a variety of partners across the College and University to build consensus around common goals.
This role provides strategic leadership for technological needs through collaboration with college leaders, and is responsible for collaborating with departments and centers to identify technology needs, as well as planning for technological innovation in media production, classroom instruction, and research and equipment software. The Director consults with faculty whose positions address a wide variety of technology-influenced pedagogy and whose pedagogy is technology-reliant to understand their needs and to develop solutions to support those needs. The position also works closely with finance staff to manage budget and expenditures around technology and with the Dean's Office to manage facilities planning and use of CMCI’s physical spaces as related to equipment and technology to support pedagogy and production.
The Director serves as liaison to campus for IT and participates in conversations about technology and teaching platforms. The position is expected to track the national trends around technology use in higher education, especially in colleges with concentrations in media, communication and information. This position supervises the staff team involved in media production and technology, which includes equipment distribution, purchasing, laboratory management, video and documentary media, and equipment use within specific departments.
Success in this position demands results related to identified needs and solutions, innovation, thoughtful contribution, and critical thinking.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We AreThe College of Media, Communication and Information
(CMCI) was founded in 2015 to address ground-breaking change in the way people communicate, the tools they use and the impact that change has on society. The college has six departments that offer undergraduate and graduate degrees: the Department of Advertising, Public Relations and Media Design; the Department of Communication; the Department of Critical Media Practices; the Department of Information Science; the Department of Journalism and the Department of Media Studies. In addition, there is a graduate program in Intermedia Art, Writing and Performance. The college’s interdisciplinary approach unites students and faculty from these seven academic specialties to solve emerging problems in the constantly evolving world of communication and technology.
CMCI strives to be a community whose excellence is premised on diversity, equity and inclusion. We seek candidates who share this commitment and demonstrate understanding of the experiences of those historically underrepresented in higher education. We welcome applications from minoritized racial and ethnic identities, ciswomen, non-normative genders and sexualities, persons with disabilities, and others who have encountered legacies of marginalization.What Your Key Responsibilities Will BePlanning, Collaboration, and Communication for Technology
Technical Knowledge, Planning and Procurement
- Works collaboratively with the dean, college leadership, and departmental leadership to identify opportunities and implement innovative solutions that further pedagogical excellence and integrates the use of technologies within and between CMCI’s facilities;
- Works collaboratively with college leadership to develop and implement a strategic plan for technology including a projected budget that aligns both with the CMCI strategic plan and the strategic imperatives and budget of the CU Boulder campus; leads the implementation and ongoing administration of the plan;
- Works closely with college leaders, academic departments and programs to anticipate technology and equipment for instructional and production needs with an understanding of facilities and physical space as related to technological needs;
- Effectively communicates with chairs, faculty and staff across the college about technology;
- Establishes and chairs a college “technology, and equipment committee” whose membership represents each unit and program of the college to ensure that technology needs and priorities are understood holistically and addressed within the budgetary constraints of the college.
Supervision, and Performance Management
- Maintains a comprehensive inventory of college technology resources;
- Assesses use and deployment of current college technology resources;
- Coordinates the development and management of vendor contracts;
- Aligns CMCI technology resources with campus resources;
- Stays attuned with campus planning and industry innovations;
- Demonstrates and maintains a high level of up to date technology skills and knowledge of current trends to ensure effective utilization and development of college and campus technology resources.
- Supervises college staff team of media, technology and communications professionals;
- Provides support and development opportunities for team members;
- Aligns staff duties with changing college needs;
- Collaborates with academic departments to ensure that staff resources in this area support departmental needs.
What You Should KnowThis position is expected to be on-campus, in-person once classes resume in the fall.What We Can OfferSalary Range: $75,000- $90,000. Relocation available. BenefitsThe University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
.Be StatementsBe Collaborative. Be Impactful. Be Boulder.What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, media technology, IT or related field;
- Five years of experience with progressively increasing responsibilities in the areas of media technology use and development;
- Experience supervising professional staff;
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
What You Will Need
- Demonstrated knowledge of national and regional landscape for media and information technology in higher education;
- Knowledge of media, communication and/or information technology;
- Knowledge of media hardware and software compliance, pricing and purchasing, and security standard methodologies;
- Proven experience with budget planning and justification, as well as budget reconciliation;
- Ability to direct, motivate, develop and evaluate staff;
- Ability to manage and direct organizational priorities;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Master's degree in journalism, media production, communications, advertising or related fields;
- Previous experience procuring funding from grant sources;
- Knowledge of leading edge production and communication technologies;
- Demonstrated engagement with organizations related to media technology or information technology;
- Demonstrated knowledge of national and regional landscape for media and information technology;
- Experience collaborating with high-level administrators to drive innovation and promote visibility of the institution as a leader in media and technology use;
- Demonstrated history of innovation and business solutions, and cost saving strategies;
- Previous experience in higher education.
Special InstructionsTo apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
- A short essay (no more than 1 page) that addresses the following statement: "CMCI is committed to inclusive excellence as detailed here: https://www.colorado.edu/cmci/about/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-dei." Describe how you incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion into your work.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by June 13, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human ResourcesPosting Contact Email: [email protected]