Contracts and Rights Assistant
Job no: 516711
Work type: Temp Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Business/Accounting/Finance, Law/Enforcement/Compliance
Department:47001100 - UP-DIRECTOR'S OFFICE
Contracts and Rights AssistantJob Description:
Intellectual Property and Subsidiary Rights Support
- With guidance from the Director, negotiates the sale and purchase of subsidiary rights, including translations, audiobooks, English-language reprints, and television, film, stage, and serial adaptations, as well as manages rights agreements for co-publications, custom publications, technical platforms, and multimedia;
- Maintains, updates, and prepares contracts and contract-related communications for Press publications, including publishing, distribution, and licensing agreement templates;
- Assists in the development of strategies for promoting frontlist and backlist titles for subrights licensing in the appropriate international markets, working closely with Marketing and Sales to identify promising or emerging markets and with Acquisitions to understand the potential of the list and individual titles;
- Grows and maintains relationships with international publishers and agents;
- Maintains data for contacts, inquiries, and completed deals in the Rights database and coordinates the renewal and cancellation of deals;
- Works with the Business Office to ensure receipt and reconciliation of royalty reports and payments.
- Tracks and reports on subsidiary rights revenue;
- Coordinates the preparation and distribution of tip sheets, rights catalogs, and other promotional materials;
- Assists editors in acquiring English-language rights and applies for subsidies to support English-language translations;
- Communicates rights activities and deal information to authors and internal stakeholders.
Directors Office Support
- Fields general Press queries, handles routine correspondence, and drafts and proofreads letters and other written materials;
- Gathers information for and helps create Press-wide reports;
- Sets schedules and tracks internal meetings and deadlines for editorial board materials; takes minutes at editorial board meetings; performs follow-up activities
- Coordinates and assists with Press-sponsored events as needed;
- Coordinates funded and complimentary copies.
Acquisitions Department Support
- Coordinates applications for Cataloging in Publication and registering copyright with the Library of Congress;
- Coordinates and tracks the routing of advance contracts for management team approval;
- Coordinates payment for readers;
- Performs permission reviews of published books selected for reprint; coordinates clearances with authors; and transmits to Editorial;
- Updates Acquisition Handbook as needed.
Maintains flexibility and awareness of changes and needs in the organization by assuming similar duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This position must communicate with a wide variety of constituents on a daily basis, including authors, US and international faculty, members of scholarly organizations, administrators, agents, government officials, customers, and others.Expected Salary:
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area required. Prior experience/internship in a professional setting preferred.Preferred Qualifications:
N/ASpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Priority will be given to experience in editorial work or other areas of book publishing, particularly at a university press, and to applicants who are familiar with contracts and exhibit knowledge of copyright and intellectual property law. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential, as are interpersonal skills. The ability to maintain confidentiality and work independently with a high degree of initiative are critical.
The incumbent should be computer literate, with a strong working knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office Suite (especially MS Word and Excel), database programs (such as Access or FileMaker). Familiarity with Cat’s Pajamas Publisher Program and Adobe Photoshop is helpful.
This is a time-limited position.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 18 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 30 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time