Job location: BYU–Hawaii Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
If you currently have a job on campus, please use the internal job board
Position: Assistant or Associate Professor
Faculty: Faculty of Culture, Language, and Performing Arts – Theatre Program
Closing Date: Reviews of Applications will commence August 15, open until filled
Job Type: Full-time
Job Category: Faculty
- An MFA or doctorate in theatre specializing in acting, directing, or technical theatre is preferred. Candidates with expertise in the theatre traditions and languages of the Pacific, Asia, and beyond are strongly encouraged to apply. BYUH has a small theater program; candidates who can contribute in multiple ways or in a combination of the above specialized areas preferred. Ability to teach theatre courses that contribute to Asian Studies, Hawaiian Studies or Pacific Islands Studies a plus.
- We seek candidates that support our mission (https://about.byuh.edu/mission.html) and who are committed to strengthening our students both spiritually and intellectually.
- The individual should be completely committed to helping prepare students to serve in their families, communities, and the Church throughout the world, with a particular emphasis on the Asia-Pacific region. Brigham Young University–Hawaii gives preference to women and men whose background and/or experiences echo the many cultures and geographic regions reflected by the student body.
- As an educational institution affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU-Hawaii prefers to hire qualified members of the Church in good standing as authorized under Title 41 CFS § 60-1.5 (a)(6).
- Teach approximately 30 semester credit hours per year over three semesters in some (but not all) of the following subject areas: Directing, Playwriting, Set and Light Design, Stage Management, Acting, Musical Theatre, Theatre Workshop, and other areas of applicant’s expertise. Involved in one production in Fall and/or Winter and/or Spring semesters. Each major theatre production receives the equivalence of one course load.
- Scholarship, creative endeavor, ongoing professional development, and university service are expected.
- BYU-Hawaii’s primary focus is undergraduate learning and teaching. The individual should be fully committed to student learning (https://clt.byuh.edu/framework-for-learning)
- Rank and salary dependent on qualifications and experience.
- A limited relocation expense package is provided.
- Annually renewable contract eligible for Continuing Faculty Status (BYU-H equivalent of “tenure-track”)
- Standard BYU-Hawaii benefits package for regular full-time employees.
Procedures: Please complete and submit the following by mail or email.
- Official BYU-Hawaii online application form.
- A letter of application and current curriculum vitae.
- Three letters of recommendation written specifically for this position. Letter writers must include their names, addresses, and telephone numbers and send their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Response to the following question: “Why do you feel like you are a match for BYU-Hawaii?” to be included with the application.
- Official transcript from the institution where last degree was received. Electronic and scanned copies (as long as the Registrar’s seal is evident) to be included in the application.
- Optional - A link to a 10 minute (minimum) teaching video posted online.
Starting Date: Winter 2022 or Fall 2022
*Incomplete applications will not be considered*
Contact: Yifen Beus
Associate Academic Vice President - Faculty
55-220 Kulanui Street
Laie, HI 96762
Fax: (808) 675-3329
* More information may be requested as you progress through the recruiting process.