Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department:
Counseling and Accessibility Primary Location:
Staff Job Type:
Full Time Position Close Date:
Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for providing counseling services to Middle Georgia State University students on all campuses, with Cochran as the home campus.
- Provide students with academic, career and personal counseling, to include:
- Interpreting students’ psycho-educational assessment reports; determines needs and provides individualized academic accommodations; interprets psychological and development assessments and inventories.
- Maintaining confidential records of student sessions.
- Developing and facilitating structured groups, workshops, presentations and counseling outreach programs.
- Providing emergency and crisis counseling to students, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Provides appropriate college community and clinical referrals.
- Promotes the adoption of healthy lifestyle choices for mental, emotional and social health through campus events and outreach.
- Perform administrative functions, to include:
- Assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Answering phone calls and greeting students when they enter the office.
- Serving as a member of the Assessment and Care Team, which typically meets monthly.
- Identifies as a Campus Security Authority (CSA)
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of counseling services in the context of higher education.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws related to counseling services.
- Knowledge of counseling principles as related to at-risk populations and crisis situations.
- Skill in the provision of counseling services to a diverse student body.
- Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Director of Counseling and Accessibility Services assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include Licensed Professional Counselors code of ethics, federal and state laws, and University System and college policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The work consists of varied counseling duties. The unique nature of each student’s needs contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide counseling services to college students, faculty and staff. Success in this position provides effective counseling services to students.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, faculty, staff, students, representatives of external service providers, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, to provide services, or to motivate or influence persons.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: May supervise student assistants.
- Graduate Degree in Counseling, Social Work, or Psychology is required.
- Must be Licensed or License Eligible to practice in the state of Georgia (LPC, LCSW, Clinical Psychology)
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Position is non-exempt (bi-weekly paid).
- Salary Grade – 19
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted until position is filled.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as one PDF attachment to [email protected] with the subject line “10018671 Mental Health Counselor 5.19.2021”. Application materials must include (1) an MGA faculty application, (2) a letter of interest, (3) a curriculum vitae, (4) a statement of teaching philosophy, (5) names and contact information of three references, and (6) unofficial transcripts.Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates.Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D