Job no: 500394
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 5 - CSUEU - Operations and Support Services, Probationary, Part Time, Trades
*This is a part-time benefited position.*
Under the direction of the Golf General Manager, the Golf Services Attendant is responsible for utilizing his/her advance knowledge of golf to provide and maintain professional and exceptional guest relations in assisting our donors and guests, while at the Spartan Golf Complex. The Golf Services Attendant ensures that all donors and guests are greeted and welcomed in a professional and courteous manner. S/he is highly visible and conscientiously tends to the needs of donors/guests, ensuring that their experience is enjoyable and world class.
- Assists the General Manager with golf operation and maintenance needs of the Spartan Golf Complex
- Supports the golf instruction program needs with accurate scheduling, processing of fees, and assisting with camps, clinics and youth as assigned
- Assists with merchandise sales, orders, receiving and display of retail goods
- Tracks use of the Complex by the men’s and women’s golf teams, donors, lesson clients, and other guests
- Monitors safety security and credentialed access to the facility
- Ensures that all guests feel welcome, are given responsive, friendly and courteous service at all times, and that all situations are handled in an expedited manner
- Assists in training student and temporary casual employees according to University standards
- Stages the golf practice facility daily with balls, furniture, club cleaning and shoe cleaning fixtures for use. Also re-stages the practice facility throughout the day
- Performs maintenance duties including filling divots, raking bunkers, sweeping the range, sweeping the parking lot, and maintaining various structures such as fences and paths
- Operates, cleans and inspects irrigation systems, valves, drainage, related equipment and areas to identify problems and needed repairs
- Assists donors, prospective donors, and lesson clients upon arrival and departure with equipment to and from the parking area
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of all pertinent state and federal laws and NCAA regulations related to the operation of a golf facility
- Excellent interpersonal skills to deal with employees, coaches, students, donors, golf professionals and members of the general public using the facility
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience in point-of-sale systems and their reporting functions
- Possess high attention to detail and ability to multi-task effectively
- Ability to maintain and use an irrigation system technology
- Ability to direct, motivate, and counsel staff members
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills
- Ability to provide creative leadership and make consistent sound judgements
- Ability to maintain a valid California driver’s license and appropriate DMV status to operate company vehicles
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate for the duties of the position and follow verbal and written instructions to ensure safety; perform regular strenuous manual labor; and safely move heavy items in excess of 50 lbs.
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, hospitality management, or a related field
- Certification from an accreditation organization, such as PGA
- Two years of experience succeeding within a fast-paced or championship level golf course operation
Anticipated Hiring Range: $1,560/month - $2,067/month (Part-Time)
Hiring Range: $2,789/month - $5,048/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 18, 2021 through June 2, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: May 18, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled