Job location: 2420 OLD IVY RD OFFICE BUILDING Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
The University of Virginia seeks a dynamic, collaborative, and experienced fundraising professional to serve as Senior Director, Cancer Programs for Health System Development (HSD). This is a remarkable opportunity to contribute to a best-in-class fundraising program as it works towards highly ambitious goals as part of the University of Virginia’s $5 billion Honor the Future Campaign. Under the leadership of Dr. K. Craig Kent, Executive Vice President for Health Affairs and Chief Executive Officer for UVA Health, UVA Health Development teams are on track to raise $1 billion in support for medical education, research, and clinical care.
The Senior Director, Cancer Programs leads the Cancer Center Fundraising program that is charged with raising $125 million, the largest program goal within UVA Health’s $1 billion campaign, by June 2025. The Senior Director is the chief fundraiser for UVA Cancer and will work closely with Dr. Thomas P. Loughran, Jr., Director of UVA Cancer Center, and the UVA Cancer Center executive leadership team on creating a strategic vision to provide resources for world-class clinical care and innovative research. While leading a team of experienced development officers, the Senior Director will prioritize key fundraising initiatives established to support the work of the Cancer Center. The entrepreneurial Senior Director will focus on building a strong portfolio and pipeline of major and principal gift donors to increase overall dollars raised.
The Senior Director is responsible for setting annual and campaign fundraising goals, overseeing the strategy and tactics to achieve them, and being accountable for development outcomes by documenting and reporting on individual and team metrics. The Senior Director will coach and mentor the Cancer Programs fundraising team which includes: two Associate Directors of Development, Director for Annual Giving, and Development Associate. Reporting to the Associate VP for Development, the Senior Director will play a key leadership role in our grateful patient fundraising efforts, a rapidly growing effort for Health System Development. They also are responsible for managing the Cancer Center Board, a volunteer group dedicated to fundraising, by staffing the board chair and Director of UVA Cancer Center and collaborating on strategy and direction.
The University of Virginia Cancer Center is one of 71 National Cancer Institute-designated cancer centers. Our multi-disciplinary mission is to transform cancer care through research, prevention, detection and treatment. U.S. News & World Report has recently ranked UVA the No. 1 hospital in Virginia and our cancer services in the top 10% of the country. We are also the only cancer center in Virginia listed in Becker’s 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs. UVA Cancer Center serves not only the needs of the Commonwealth of Virginia, but engages in research and national clinical trials that have far-reaching impact. UVA Medical Center is a 631 bed, Level 1 trauma center based in Charlottesville, Virginia. As of July 1, 2021, UVA Health will acquire full ownership of three hospitals previously owned jointly by Novant Health UVA Health System.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, Health System Development honors your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity. Together, we strive to create and maintain working environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming so we can best achieve our mission of supporting our broadly diverse partners, schools, and networks of engaged alumni, parents, and friends of the University.
- Work closely with Cancer Center and Health System Development leadership to craft campaign vision in partnership with Director of Cancer Center and Cancer clinical leadership.
- Develop and manage Cancer fundraising team through effective recruitment, motivation, mentorship, and staff development.
- Set strategic direction for the Cancer fundraising team, leading them in discipline, accountability and pipeline development and ensure team members have the resources needed to be successful.
- Work with Cancer Center leadership to engage members of the Cancer Center Advisory Board to advocate, give, thank, and advise.
- Staff top tier Cancer prospects, raising $5M+/year from individual and foundation donors as the lead gift officer.
- Work collaboratively with HSD colleagues and advancement professionals across the University to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects and donors.
- Work closely with Director of UVA Cancer Center, staffing development visits and travel.
Honor the Future
- Strong commitment to and record of advancing diversity. Recruit and retain a diverse team and develop a culture in which everyone feels valued and supported.
Campaign and UVA Leadership
The Senior Director, Cancer Programs will join the University at an exciting time for UVA Health. UVA has embarked on a groundbreaking $5 billion Honor the Future capital campaign that will advance the priorities of every school and unit, support new and existing programs, and fund capital projects. UVA Health’s portion of Honor the Future is $1 billion, which supports initiatives in patient care, research, medical and nursing education, and community outreach and access to care. The Honor the Future campaign represents an investment in the ideas, people, and solutions that save lives and relieve suffering. UVA Health has raised $470 million towards its goal.
The Senior Director will have the opportunity to build on a legacy of fundraising success. During UVA’s previous $3 billion capital campaign, which culminated in 2013, UVA Health exceeded its $500 million goal during a time of significant economic adversity. UVA Health System raised over $675 million from more than 53,000 donors who made over 90,000 individual gifts.
UVA Health is redefining what it means to be an academic medical center. That means caring, researching, and teaching with renewed focus and compassion for every patient, every day, because tomorrow can’t wait.
The UVA Medical Center, a level I trauma center with over 600 beds and numerous specialty and outpatient clinics in Charlottesville and throughout Virginia, is stepping up to meet the needs of the Commonwealth, the nation, and the world as the #1 hospital in Virginia. With 15 specialties in the top 50 nationally and a $2.3 billion annual operating budget, UVA Health leads the University in generating new areas of research and forging innovative affiliations.
The University of Virginia School of Medicine’s cutting-edge educational and research programs are built on innovation and collaboration, bridging the academic and clinical environments to pioneer the treatments and cures of tomorrow. Campaign priorities will span the entire School, but also will focus on advancing biomedical research in cancer, transplant, and the neurosciences, among other areas.
The University of Virginia School of Nursing, home to the #1 Clinical Nurse Leader program in the nation, is the only school of nursing in Virginia ranked in the nation’s top 25 programs. With a focus on compassionate care, the School of Nursing is committed to training the next generation of resilient, innovative, and passionate nurse-leaders.
The University seeks an energetic and charismatic leader with a strong affinity for the mission and values of UVA Health and the University of Virginia, who is able to create a strong case for giving to UVA Cancer. Preferred candidates will have previous experience fundraising within higher education or a healthcare setting. They will demonstrate entrepreneurship and creativity in identifying prospects. A compelling candidate will have the desire to establish a foundation of excellence and will possess a proven record of meeting and exceeding goals and improving outcomes. They will also have demonstrated leadership skills and be able to create a highly stable and effective team by articulating clear goals and responsibilities and by providing feedback to support individual accountability.
- At least 10 years of experience with a proven record of successful fundraising in a higher education or healthcare setting.
- Personal track record of success in reaching and exceeding fundraising goals.
- Previous experience drafting persuasive and succinct major gift proposals.
- Excellent administrative skills, including project management, organization, delegation and prioritization.
- Proven ability to establish objectives, set performance standards, and organize and motivate a development team to achieve fundraising goals.
- Experience motivating and collaborating successfully with volunteers.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including sensitivity to work with patient population, and the ability to develop relationships of trust and respect with staff, alumni, faculty, volunteers, and donors.
- The Senior Director will contribute to an environment that encourages diversity, equity, and inclusion. They must have command of cultural sensitivity and must value and embrace cultural and social differences.
- A bachelor's degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
To Apply or Nominate:
As a part of UVA Advancement, Health System Development offers a flexible and hybrid workplace. All team members must have access to and maintain a secure home office environment with high-speed internet service and work collaboratively with others using a variety of technologies and tools. Depending on the type of position and work performed, or as deemed by manager, some positions may be required to work intermittently in a shared office space located in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Applications should include a resume and letter of interest. The search will be carried out with full confidentiality. To be officially considered for this position, all applicants must apply through Workday.
For confidential inquiries or to nominate someone for this opportunity, please contact AJ Davidson, Senior Search Consultant, UVA Executive Search Group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.