Director of Internal Audit
A nationally ranked private university located near the heart of Dallas, SMU is a distinguished center for global research with a liberal arts tradition.
SMU’s more than 12,000 diverse, high-achieving students come from all 50 states and 90 countries to take advantage of the University’s small classes, hands-on research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international study and innovative programs. The University offers a strong foundation in the humanities and sciences and undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs through eight schools.
Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is increasingly recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical leaders in their professions and communities. The University’s entrepreneurial spirit lives in people from every academic discipline who see opportunities to create something new in the world – and work hard to bring their innovations to life. SMU’s relationship with Dallas – the dynamic center of one of the nation’s fastest-growing regions – offers unique learning, research, social and career opportunities that provide a launch pad for our students, faculty and alumni to make a global impact. On the most beautiful college campus in the country, SMU Mustangs are energized by unbridled opportunities – from teaching, learning and research to creativity, performance and athletic endeavor.
Reporting directly to the University President, and functionally to the Board of Trustees Audit Committee, the Director of Internal Audit will manage, lead, and oversee the Office of Internal Audit. This position will serve as a proactive partner with University Leadership to manage internal audits and provide advisory services to the campus to assist in upgrading business processes and internal controls. The individual should have a thorough understanding of the campus risk environment and control systems and will be responsible for the continuous identification and evaluation of risks and the development of strategic audit plans to help meet current University objectives.
The Director will serve in an advisory capacity to the entire campus and be a key collaborator with University Leadership by communicating key internal controls and best practices that will allow for institutional effectiveness, process improvement and efficiencies. This Director will partner with University Leadership to support the University in accomplishing its strategic and operational initiatives.
- Directs and manages the internal audit staff and/or outsourced internal audit relationships and assures compliance with professional standards for the practice of internal auditing.
- Actively partner and collaborate with University leadership, risk management and other areas throughout the university to develop an audit plan that properly reflects risks.
- Evaluates audit objectives and risk exposure for areas under examination and assess risk in conjunction with University mission.
- Responsible for overall direction, daily operations and project management of internal audit.
- Serve in an advisory capacity to University officials; make recommendations for improved processes and internal control systems.