SENIOR COUNSELORCampus Title:
Senior Counselor (AOD)School/Division:
Student Affairs, Division ofDepartment:
Counseling and Wellness ServicesStaff Sub-Type:
Staff & AdministrationSalary Level:
Mid to upper $60'sPosition Effort:
Work as part of a multidisciplinary team providing mental health treatment, consultation, crisis counseling and prevention services in the areas of mental health and alcohol and other drugs (AOD) concerns. This full-time senior counselor position has a 12-month annual obligation and an AOD specialization
SUNY Cortland Counseling and Wellness Services promotes the overall well-being and personal growth of our students through various services. To learn more about the University or the Counseling Center, please visit our webpage .Major Responsibilities:
Demonstrate your knowledge and skills in time-limited psychotherapy, communication skills, and ability to work at a fast pace and handle spontaneous work demands to deliver clinical services including:
- diagnostic assessment and evaluation;
- evidence-based individual, couples, and group psychotherapy;
- case management;
- crisis and emergency intervention.
Resource and Referral
Work cooperatively in a multidisciplinary team environment to make appropriate referrals to outside providers of psychiatric services and other campus and community resources.
Community, Outreach, and Prevention
Functional and Supervisory Relationships:
- Demonstrate commitment to and interest in working with a diverse student population and ability to demonstrate multicultural competence during workshops, presentations, and other outreach activities, as well as, consultation to campus and larger community, including faculty, staff, families, students and other stakeholders.
- Provide outreach and preventive programs that address the psychological and behavioral needs of the student population, with particular emphasis and expertise in alcohol and other drug (AOD) issues.
- Report to the director of Counseling & Wellness Services.
- Work closely with staff from Health Promotion, Student Health Services, Disability Services, Career Services, and Residence Life and Housing.
- Master’s degree in counseling, psychology or social work
- Professional license to practice and use the professional title in New York State of Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or Psychologist. (Note: within 6 months of appointment may be considered if currently licensed in another state)
- One year of experience in crisis intervention and consultation.
- One year of experience in providing outreach or psychoeducational programming, particularly with underserved and vulnerable populations.
- Three years of clinical experience providing short-term mental health treatment or referral for clients (including clients with AOD abuse concerns).
- State or national AOD certification in counseling or prevention
- Earned doctoral degree in counseling or clinical psychology from an APA accredited program and fully licensed as a psychologist in the State of New York within six months of hire (e.g., already licensed in another state)
- One year, full-time equivalent, APA approved internship in a college counseling center
- Recent college or university counseling center staff experience, particularly in providing counseling or prevention programming related to AOD abuse concerns
- Computer literacy
- Experience providing clinical supervision
- Experience working with and serving diverse populations
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act (AA/EEO/ADA) employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.Posting Number:
S20065Review Start Date:
05/31/2021Open Until Filled:
YesQuick Link for Direct Access to Posting:
https://jobs.cortland.edu/postings/4782Special Instructions to Applicant:
Priority consideration will be given to applications received on or before May 31, 2021