Job no: 508395
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: Beacon Street-Boston
Department: UMass OnLine
Categories: Business & Financial Services
Advertised: May 18 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
The University of Massachusetts Online seeks an experienced, innovative and strategic leader to serve as Chief Financial Adviser. As a member of the UMass Online leadership team and reporting to the Chief Executive Officer of UMass Online, the Chief Financial Adviser will assist the CEO as he operationalizes the strategic plan set by UMass Global’s Board of Regents for scaling and transforming UMass Global into a major regional and national online institution. This effort will require a collaborative leader with the ability to consolidate, streamline and enhance existing operations while implementing growth platforms thereby improving both the academic and student experience for the online learner.
The ideal executive candidate for this position will have demonstrated experience in both private and public higher education sectors to include the development and execution of strategic growth strategies that will contribute to the expansion of the online mission of the University of Massachusetts. This position is also responsible for partnering with university staff at large for operating budget development, financial and operational forecasting, analytics, facilities and KPI management.
The Chief Financial Adviser is also responsible for the financial resources and online operations to include the functional maintenance or implementation of systems such as SIS, ERP, CRM, LMS, EPM.
- Work with CEO and senior colleagues to develop and deliver the corporate strategy for the University, exercising overall responsibility for the achievement of specific strategic priorities.
- Serve as the primary liaison between UMass Global and the University’s Office of Administration and Finance.
- Serve as an important financial advisor on major business academic transactions, including acquisitions and new strategic business ventures.
- Assist in development of the strategic plan/framework for the UMass Online’s delivery of services under its Management Services Agreement with UMass Global while adhering to direction set by the CEO of UMass Online and the UMass Global Board of Regents.
- Provide recommendations to the CEO to develop financing schemas that will fund program and mission growth for UMass Global.
- Provide the leadership and strategic direction for Student Financial Services to include the administration of Department of Education, Title IV funds that will provide both student operational recommendations where necessary to optimize the performance and alignment with academic programs and mission expansion strategies.
- Perform financial due diligence associated with any potential business activities.
- Ensure the provision of high quality and innovative support services that respond to the challenging demands, and aspirations of the adult learner.
- Work collaboratively with all units of the University to include Office of Finance, Office of General Counsel, University Information Technology Services, UMass Building Authority, etc.
- Provide operational recommendations to the CEO which considers feedback from the individual campuses to optimize the student experience from lead generation, admissions, enrollment through start.
- Ensure the development of operational KPIs, Service Level Agreements and Standards throughout the student pipeline that will contribute to the highest customer service levels for the online student.
- Responsible for the administration, coordination, development and implementation of policies, procedures, systems and budgets.
- Develop, negotiate, execute and monitor vendor and service contracts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- A Master’s degree is required as well as at least 10 years of progressive financial management experience in senior leadership roles within higher education and the private sector.
- Strong project management experience with demonstrated experience in systems.
- Demonstrated experience with implementing organizational transformative strategies for both private and public sector enterprises.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic financial planning models.
- Proven leadership with developing online operational key performance indicators.
- Strong understanding of online education best practices.
- Demonstrated understanding of both private and public sector complex financing schemas.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Operations experience working with functional areas such as student operations, procurement, budget, facilities, and information technology.
- Solid understanding of the adult learner.
- Understanding of the paradigm shift with adult learner markets.
- Requires occasional in-state travel to campuses in Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth, Lowell and Worcester, and occasional out-of-state travel.
- May require extended hours, nights and weekends, as necessary.
- Typical office environment.
Salary up to $270,000