Job no: 498695
Department: Regl Student Services - Hamilton Campus
Location: Hamilton, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Advising, Counseling
Status: Full Time
Job Title:Academic AdvisorJob Summary:
Academic Advisor to provide accurate and current curricular information for students pursuing baccalaureate and associate degrees offered at Miami University with a special focus on Miami Regional, College of Liberal Arts and Applied Science, degrees and programs.
• Assist in the planning and implementation of targeted academic advising programs such as: University Studies (Undecided/Exploratory), College Credit Plus (CCP), international, transfer, and other assigned student populations
• Coordinate and implement outreach interventions focused on retention and academic success
• Assist students with petition processes for academic actions and transfer credits, as appropriate
• Support the Office of Admission during recruitment and enrollment events, providing advising information for prospective students and their families
• Utilize career development resources to assist students to identify appropriate major options
• Participate in academic advising services with the Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration program (SOAR)
• Serve as an academic advising trainer and resource for faculty and faculty advisors, as well as campus partners
• Partner with academic advisors across the University to ensure consistency in advising
• Utilize advising tools such as DARS/u.Achieve, transferology.com, SSC Navigate, EAB, MyMajors/career development resources, and SCT Banner, in addition to the Google Suite
• Assist in developing individual and departmental long-range plans and objectives, based on the needs of the campus
• Instruct up to three credit hours per term of student success course work, such as UNV 101: I am Miami, as needed
• Other duties as assigned by the director
Master’s degree, preferably in student affairs, counseling or related field upon appointment. Minimum 6 months of experience, post -baccalaureate, full-time advising or related experience in a university or college setting, including academic, career, study abroad, or other related areas.. Relevant experience gained during a graduate program may also apply. (graduate experience is prorated; 1 semester of an assistantship is equivalent to 2.25 months of full-time experience).
This position is available to persons who are currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time and indefinite basis. (Persons authorized to work on such a basis include US citizens, lawful permanent residents (“green card” holders), asylees, refugees, and temporary residents under IRCA.)
Consideration may be given to candidates with an understanding of student development theory and an understanding of the purpose and advantages of a liberal arts education; Experience in working with at-risk, diverse student populations; Excellent written and oral communication (including public speaking), interpersonal, collaborative skills, organization, and technological skills; Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, and staff; Experience working with a diverse student population, including international students.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Inquiries may be directed to Kelli Bray at [email protected]
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to [email protected]
or 513-529-3560. As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html
, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.Date to Begin Screening Applicants:
Screening of applications will begin May 24, 2021 and will continue until the position has been filled.
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact [email protected] or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 13 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time