13-May-2021 to Until Filled (EST) Fort Valley, GA, USA Full TimeEmail Me Similar JobsEmail Me This Job
FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, is seeking candidates for the Payroll Director position.
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area.
The Director of Payroll provides oversight and direction of all payroll functions to ensure the accurate and timely delivery of payroll services, including payroll processing, payroll taxes, reviewing/revising policies and procedures, as well as internal controls, system review and system upgrades. This position ensures payroll tax payments are in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local tax laws, provides state and federal tax information to appropriate agencies, and provides documentation of employee's earnings and deductions. The Director of Payroll also works closely with Human Resources (Benefits) and Accounting Services, as well as maintaining vendor relationships.
- Reviews and edits time cards for accuracy, prepares appropriate payroll data, analyzes for accuracy and elimination of errors, balances payroll, submits data in a timely manner to third party processor, and is able to execute outbound interfaces.
- Ensures payment to all employees by reviewing and processing checks from payroll system.
- Comprehends the core HRMS database and is proficient in understanding and utilizing the payroll module of the database, including understanding Benefits and other changes and their impact on payroll.
- Payroll system administrator. Understands distribution codes and its impact on the general ledger, as well as comprehends how pay rules, accrual profiles, and person types impact employees, payroll, and the time card system.
- Receives, processes, and maintains records on various payroll issues such as garnishments. Reconciles all payroll and related accounting records as necessary. Processes on demand checks, historical edits, and other payroll information as necessary. Is capable of trouble shooting system problems in both the time card system and the payroll module.
- Assists employees by resolving payroll discrepancies and ensuring accurate and timely payment.
- Prepares payroll reports by collecting, analyzing, summarizing and balancing information from payroll software and time and attendance.
- Develops and maintains departmental policies and procedures.
- On a monthly basis reconciles and adjusts (1) benefitted payroll agency accounts, (2) retiree and COBRA accounts, (3) flex spending accounts, and (4) other payroll agency funds as required.
- Work with the Accounting Department to reconcile payroll related general ledger accounts.
- Reviews and reconciles payroll related billing for accuracy.
- Distributes appropriate reports to different departments, including transmittals from third party processor when applicable, and collaborates with Accounting Services, Human Resources (Benefits), and others as necessary to ensure that all systems and processes are being optimized.
- Processes and reviews audit reports to ensure accuracy of payroll data.
- Adheres to established procedures and maintains confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance.
- Three (3) to five (5) years minimum payroll processing (including taxes and accounting reconciliation).
- Must have a minimum of six (6) years' experience in a complex accounting environment, including reconciliation.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office i.e. Excel, Word etc., along with heavy exposure and knowledge of accounting and payroll systems and their interfaces.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting and payroll principles as well as related laws and regulations.
- Budgetary analysis capabilities.
- Excellent time management skills in order to meet continuous critical deadlines
- Working knowledge of payroll related liabilities and account reconciliations.
- This position requires strong oral and written communication skills, analytical, technical, and problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently.
- Master's Degree, with undergraduate in Accounting.
- Certified Payroll Professional designation.
- Over five (5) years payroll processing (including taxes and accounting reconciliation) of payroll or closely related experience.
- More than six (6) years' experience in a complex accounting environment, including reconciliation.
- PeopleSoft Enterprise application.
Fort Valley State Universityhttps://fvsu.applicantpro.com