13-May-2021 to Until Filled (EST) Fort Valley, GA, USA Full TimeEmail Me Similar JobsEmail Me This Job
FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, is seeking candidates for the Staff Accountant position in the Business and Finance Office.
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area.
This position performs specialized duties in support of assigned university accounting functions. The position performs entry/mid-level accounting operations, such as reconciliation, analysis, and review. Position is responsible for, but not limited to University travel, General Ledger support, Restricted Accounting functions, Capital Asset Management, preparing and posting journal entries, and generating complex reports related to treasury and cash services. Accounting and reconciliation, communication, and time management are essential. This position would also support financial reporting.
- Act as point person for all University Travel matters.
- Audits travel reimbursements for payment and cash advance documentation.
- Reconciles travel/accounts payable to include all prepaid accounts against general ledger.
- Delivers campus wide travel/cash expense training.
- Performs a variety of entry to mid-level accounting and reconciliation tasks that may be related to general, treasury, student accounts, restricted, or auxiliary fund.
- Responsible for all treasury functions and banking support, including but not limited to reconciliations of University cash and investment accounts, general ledger issues and funding, electronic banking transactions, etc.
- Works with the Student Financial Services Office with regards to cash compliance and posting of receipts to the Cash Receipting subsidiary ledger (Banner).
- Enter and generate journal entries.
- Verifies accuracy and validity of posting and accounting transactions; monthly and year-end general ledger close processes, loading interfaces from subsidiary ledgers, and posting subsystem journals into the GL.
- Perform Asset Management processes to include entering assets into management module, running month and year end processes, and reconciling Capitals ledger.
- Assists with designing policies and procedures to improve financial processes and establishing solid internal control and compliance on campus.
- Monitors and maintains accurate records, databases, and other documents to support general and custodial funds.
- Provides support to other staff within the Comptroller's Office and related departments. Works with management, employees, and others to resolve complex accounting issues on a regular basis.
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions, as well as communicate and collaborate with other employees, project managers, sponsors, etc. Must understand and be able to apply all University, Board of Regents, State, Federal, and other policies and procedures as applicable, and specifically in regards to grants and contracts.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Proficiency in Excel i.e. spreadsheet development, formulas, pivot tables, etc.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of university accounts payable policies and procedures.
- Skill in the provision of customer services.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Bachelor's degree in related field from an accredited institution.
- More than two (2) years of related experience.
- Ability to pass a background check, including consumer credit check.
Fort Valley State Universityhttps://fvsu.applicantpro.com