Boston, MA Category:
Professional Staff Posted On:
Thu May 13 2021 Job Description:
The Clinical/Laboratory Coordinator (Senior Special Programs Coordinator) coordinates all aspects of student clinical placement. This involves forming and maintaining relationships with community healthcare partners, correlating clinical education with the didactic education, arranging student clinical experiences that meet course outcomes, assuring that faculty and students have satisfied all contractual requirements, and evaluating clinical effectiveness through a schedule of regular visits to and correspondence with the clinical education centers. The Clinical/Laboratory Coordinator will also be responsible for the preparation and organization of student laboratory work across all courses in the Medical Laboratory Technician department as assigned by the Program Director or Dean.
This is a 12-month Professional Staff: Senior Special Programs Coordinator appointment to begin Sept 2021, or as negotiated. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Clinical Coordinator Duties:
- Serve as liaison between the program(s) and clinical practicum sites:
- Connect and communicate with officials at potential and established clinical sites
- Manage affiliation agreements
- Set up clinical and practicum rotations for Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT), Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA) and future students as needed and:
- Evaluate each clinical site for its appropriateness for meeting student learning needs, course outcomes, and program outcomes in collaboration with the Program Director and faculty.
- Coordinate student and faculty orientation meetings, and as soon as possible notify students and/or faculty of any changes made to their assignments.
- Review clinical curriculum, competencies and develop clinical evaluation tools.
- Provide the clinical sites with schedules, evaluation forms, student documentation;
- Meet with, orient, assist, education coordinators and section preceptors at each affiliated site.
- Manage student clinical learning experiences and evaluation of student achievement, under the direction of the Program Director;
- Assist affiliate coordinators/preceptors in addressing students' abilities to assume clinical assignments, including, but not limited to, educational preparedness and physical, mental, and emotional behaviors;
- Conduct routine visits to the clinical sites to observe and document the student outcome achievement and overall performance.
- Maintain all documentation required in student folders to meet NAACLS standards of accreditation
Laboratory Coordinator Duties:
- Organize laboratories and preparation rooms.
- Order necessary equipment, chemicals, PPE.
- Maintain laboratory records, prepare budgets, enters purchase requisitions.
- Complete required safety training annually
- Create and maintain laboratory related SOPs and assist program faculty with technical needs related to experiments and laboratory exercises
- Ensure that laboratory curriculum is consistent with current clinical practices and accreditation standards
- Inform and recommend appropriate laboratory instructional tools and equipment purchase needs (laboratory supplies, etc.) with attention to cost, quality and full functionality.
- Engage in activities to stay current in the discipline and provide documented evidence of continuing professional education each year;
- Advise students, provide career guidance, and encourage students to participate in State Professional societies, attend seminars and apply for scholarships;
- Actively participate in college committees and meetings;
- Assist with student admissions, advising, and retention efforts.
- ASCP certification (must have a valid certification number) required;
- Master's degree in Science or related field required;
- Three years of experience as a Medical Laboratory Technician or its equivalent within the last seven years;
- Experience in an educational setting or previous experience as a clinical coordinator is preferred;
- Knowledge of standard laboratory operation and coordination (ordering supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control), and ability to prepare stock chemicals according to given standards required;
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety and hazardous waste containment procedures required;
- Experience with chemical, hazardous waste, industrial hygiene, and/or environmental health;
- Teaching and clinical practice experience with background sufficient to teach theoretical and laboratory content in a Medical Laboratory Technician or Medical Laboratory Assistant program preferred;
- Proven ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff and student population required
Salary Range: $54,956.00 - $60,000.00. Actual Salary Will Be Commensurate With Education and Experience in Accordance with MCCC/MTA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grade: 5, Unit-Professional position
Review Date: To Ensure Consideration Application Materials Must Be Received By July 15, 2021