Assistant Director for Research - Applied Research Institute (145425)
Assistant Director for Research
Illinois Applied Research Institute
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The Illinois Applied Research Institute (ARI) at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is seeking applicants for an Assistant Director for Research position. This position will be responsible for identifying, developing, integrating, and managing ARI research initiatives coordinating new interdisciplinary proposals and facilitating current research programs.
ARI’s mission is to elevate innovation to practice as part of the thriving technology ecosystem at the University of Illinois. Its professional research staff provides translational, multidisciplinary solutions for real-world problems in defense and security, manufacturing and materials, and building science. ARI staff perform research and development leveraging their broad government- and industry-based expertise in algorithm and software development, materials development and characterization, and monitoring, diagnostics, and controls with sensors and data fusion, and workforce training. ARI possesses unique capabilities for open, proprietary, and classified projects and works with collaborators across government, industry, and academia. More information about ARI can be found at http://appliedresearch.illinois.edu/.
Champaign-Urbana is not only the home of a world-class university – it is also a community that supports a comfortable, family-friendly lifestyle, including:
• very affordable and spacious homes with numerous new building options
• a maximum 20-minute commute time within Champaign-Urbana
• plentiful, high quality, and reasonable childcare options
• a strong public-school system with a gifted program, as well as several private options at all levels
• a wide variety of recreational sports and performing arts engagement opportunities
• an active regional airport with jet service to hubs in Chicago, Dallas, and Charlotte
For more information, see the following sites that profile our community:
• Champaign County Visitors Bureau: https://www.visitchampaigncounty.org
• Champaign County Association of Realtors: http://www.champaigncountyassociationofrealtors.com
• Champaign County Arts Council (40 North 88 West): http://40north.org
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement key metrics of strategic plans for research development and stewardship under the guidance of the Director, including the incorporation of specific activities in support of plans developed by ARI’s technical thrust leaders.
- Facilitate the establishment of relationships with other campus units, corporations, foundations, and government agencies.
- Understand and identify funding and collaborative opportunities for research and match these to researchers associated with ARI.
- Steer the creation and coordination of research project proposals.
- Facilitate the assembly and support of research teams in response to large research project proposal opportunities.
- Provide leadership, partner with research staff, and support personnel to develop, coordinate, and maintain interdisciplinary research initiatives and team building.
- Serve as a member of ARI’s leadership team, representing the Director and other research leaders in matters affecting ARI’s research programs.
- Coordinate interactions with campus administration involved in research project proposal submissions.
- Liaise with Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA), the Office of Technology Management (OTM), and other key offices as needed to support ARI in establishing funding and collaborations for research.
- Plan, organize, host, and facilitate visits by external research partners and potential partners.
- Travel occasionally within the U.S and abroad.
- Assist in planning, organizing, and hosting workshops.
- Represent ARI on campus-wide committees relating to research policy development, research administration, and research planning as designated by the Director.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years of experience in a research administration environment.
- Demonstrated experience in project management, development of research proposals, and interacting with federal agencies, corporations, and/or foundations.
- Ability to converse effectively regarding technical/scientific topics as related to proposal development and contract execution.
- Excellent detail-oriented and organizational skills to operate effectively in a fast-paced, multifaceted work environment.
- Strong interpersonal and excellent written and verbal communication skills and listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Master’s or Doctoral degree
- Ten or more years of experience in a research administration environment.
- Prior experience working with research teams to develop strategies for pursuing external funding.
- Ability to advise principal investigators and research personnel on the creation of compelling, compliant proposals.
- Demonstrated ability to independently write required research proposal sections as part of a team submission.
- Ability to understand engineering and/or scientific research programs, gained through experience and/or training.
This position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis (See https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/benefits for details). The expected start date is approximately July 16, 2021. Salary and position level are commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, CV/resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by May 26, 2021.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Summer Redman at [email protected] or 217-300-5400.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
College Name or Administrative Unit:The Grainger College of Engineering Category:6-Research Title:Assistant Director for Research - Applied Research Institute (145425) Open Date:05/12/2021 Close Date:05/26/2021 Organization Name:Applied Research Institute