Visiting Staff Research Engineer - Applied Research Institute (144965)
Visiting Staff Research Engineer
Illinois Applied Research Institute
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The Illinois Applied Research Institute (ARI) at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is seeking applicants for a Visiting Staff Research Engineer position. This position will be involved in conducting applied research in the area of Contextual Innovation and Process (CIP) and will include field research, coordination of student research assistants, and development of the CIP discipline. ARI’s mission is to elevate innovation to practice as part of the thriving technology ecosystem at the University of Illinois. Its professional research staff provides translational, multidisciplinary solutions for real-world problems in defense and security, manufacturing and materials, and building science. ARI staff perform research and development leveraging their broad government- and industry-based expertise in algorithm and software development, materials development and characterization, and monitoring, diagnostics, and controls with sensors and data fusion, and workforce training. ARI possesses unique capabilities for open, proprietary, and classified projects and works with collaborators across government, industry, and academia. More information about ARI can be found at http://appliedresearch.illinois.edu/.
Champaign-Urbana is not only the home of a world-class university – it is also a community that supports a comfortable, family-friendly lifestyle, including:
• very affordable and spacious homes with numerous new building options
• a maximum 20-minute commute time within Champaign-Urbana
• plentiful, high quality, and reasonable childcare options
• a strong public-school system with a gifted program, as well as several private options at all levels
• a wide variety of recreational sports and performing arts engagement opportunities
• an active regional airport with jet service to hubs in Chicago, Dallas, and Charlotte
For more information, see the following sites that profile our community:
• Champaign County Visitors Bureau: https://www.visitchampaigncounty.org
• Champaign County Association of Realtors: http://www.champaigncountyassociationofrealtors.com
• Champaign County Arts Council (40 North 88 West): http://40north.org
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
This is an entry-level or early career research and development position that will leverage an individual’s desire to apply their current knowledge in CIP, to learn and expand their expertise, and to build their capabilities to formulate and deliver real-world solutions through applied research. Numerous established pathways for professional growth and promotion include increased responsibilities for project milestone deliverables, project approach formulation, proposal preparation, and technical or project leadership and mentorship.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Translate state-of-the-art technical literature/knowledge into the development and implementation of new CIP applications.
- Conduct CIP research in the field by gathering data and performing observations. Occasional travel will be required, as permitted by COVID restrictions, to conduct field research, which will be limited to domestic United States locations.
- Analyze information, including using existing algorithms to process contextual data collected from others via the predictive tool, and prepare reports of findings.
- Assist Principal Investigators with planning, implementation, and evaluation of research projects.
- Collaborate with other ARI research staff in the preparation of materials for research contract proposals as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, computer science, applied mathematics, or related field
- One year of related work experience (including internships) in a technical field
- Familiarity with CIP through coursework or research
- Demonstrated proficiency in all forms of communication, along with solid time management, teamwork, and organizational skills
- Master’s degree in engineering, science, computer science, applied mathematics, or related fields
- Demonstrated specialization in Contextual Innovation and Process through study or professional practice
This position is a full-time, benefits-eligible visiting academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis (See https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/benefits for details). The expected start date is approximately July 2021. Salary and position level are commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, CV/resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by May 26, 2021.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Summer Redman at [email protected] or 217-300-5400.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
College Name or Administrative Unit:The Grainger College of Engineering Category:6-Research Title:Visiting Staff Research Engineer - Applied Research Institute (144965) Open Date:05/12/2021 Close Date:05/26/2021 Organization Name:Applied Research Institute