Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Duke University Press seeks a Library Sales Manager to build and maintain strong relationships with diverse, international partners in pursuit of our mission, which is to ensure that our cutting-edge scholarship reaches as wide an audience as possible.
As a not-for-profit academic publisher, we balance our dedication to broad dissemination with the need for financial sustainability. To fully achieve this goal, we need a Sales Manager who can help build relationships and extend our reach on a global basis by selling to academic libraries.
Candidates should have exceptional communication and customer service skills. Experience working with libraries, consortia and sales agents or with other cultures is optimal. The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of experience selling scholarly research content to the academic market. This is a non-commission sales position.
If you’re interested in this opportunity please submit the University-required electronic application, including your résumé and cover letter, before close of the position at Noon on Wednesday, June 23, 2021.
Job Description:Sales Strategy and Revenue Forecasting
Relationship Development and Product Sales
- Identify opportunities for new sales, utilizing product and territory/market knowledge
- Establish and achieve annual revenue goals by product category
- Collaborate with internal marketing and sales teams for support and campaign development; develop and maintain sales pipeline
- Serve as internal expert on product knowledge, sales database, and access control systems to ensure customer satisfaction
Sales Agent Management
- International travel required (20%) to attend library conferences and hold site visits, training events, and customer meetings
- Initiate and prioritize contact with sales prospects
- Develop and describe product information; negotiate price and terms to finalize sales
- Ensure digital product activation and provide support, and training to promote end-user engagement
- Actively solicit customer feedback to identify new products or upsell opportunities
- Conduct regular communication with sales agents; receive status reports, and provide customer data and promotional materials customized by region
- Identify optimal sales agent partners; negotiate, and secure representation; assess and re-negotiate existing arrangements
- Manage territory development and distribution of accounts
Department-Preferred Skills & Experience: 3 years of direct sales experience; Required 20% travel (mostly international); Sales Tracking System (CRM) experience; Proficiency with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint); Intermediate Excel; Excellent team, interpersonal, and relationship-building skills; Strong verbal and written communication skills; Negotiation and diplomacy skills; Project management experience; Fluency in a second language, desirable (but not required).
Work requires communications and marketing skills normally acquired through a bachelor's degree in a related field.
Work generally requires two years related experience in advertising, marketing, media, promotions, graphic arts or public relations. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.