Staff Part Time, HourlyBenefit Status:
Non-Benefited – Non-UnionCampus:
May 12 2021 Applications Close:
Jul 07 2021
General Summary of Position:
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is seeking a part time Library Digital Media Archivist Assistant.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Library Operations & Hospitality and the Archivist and Special Projects Manager, the candidate will perform the following job duties:
- Follow all UMass Lowell work safety protocols.
- Supervise/train work study students and interns.
- Assist with video captioning, retrieving media materials for Faculty and students and instructing on use policies.
- Set up audio and video conversion workstations in OLE and Room 326 to convert legacy formats such VHS, audio cassettes, and reel to reel tapes, using audacity software.
- Organize and share digital files including, audio, still images, and video.
- Choose appropriate media access platforms based on permissions and copyright including Ensemble, Internet Archive, and YouTube.
- Describe and introduce Media holdings in LibGuides, using accurate credit lines, authorship, citation.
- Inventory Media Center Archives, identifying unique holdings to be digitized relating to UMass Lowell culture and pedagogy as well as Lowell History.
- Maintain databases for Permission Agreements, Collections, Donations, Release Forms, Policies, etc.
- Gather all legacy files from the multiple external hard drives and discs in the Media Archives.
- Address long term Digital Preservation by maintaining multiple copies of files in several locations, run routine fixity reports on external hard drives, etc.
- Use software to transcribe Oral History interview videos and audio recordings.
- Lift heavy boxes, rearrange and re-house collections to maximize shelving efficiency.
- Respond to inquiries, by phone, email, and LibAnswers while maintaining a record of research requests listing topics and collections accessed.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelors degree and multimedia experience
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This is a part-time, temporary, non-unit, non-benefited position for 18 hours/week.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until positions are filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications have been received.
Please include a resume with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process. Submission of a cover letter is optional.