Social Media Specialist (7477U) 18324
Social Media Specialist (7477U) 18324 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 25, 2021
UC Berkeley Extension and UC Berkeley Global comprise the continuing education branch of the University of California, Berkeley. Extension offers more than 2,000 courses per year in a variety of subjects both online and in the classroom. Extension's administrative departments and units include student records (transcripts), registration, scheduling, international student services, facilities and financial services. In addition to the main Berkeley center, it has responsibility for the maintenance and operation of regional centers in San Francisco (Spear Street) and other leased facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The Marketing Department is a multi-function marketing service provider to the Extension and Global brands, as well as other UC Berkeley clients. It is responsible for the branding, engagement, enrollment, awareness building, and lead generation for more than 70 domestic and international programs. Once a primary point for transactional operations, the unit has shifted toward an entrepreneurial approach dedicated to solving complex problems, driving enrollments/revenue, and generating awareness for new programs. The goals and objectives of the Marketing Department are to provide excellent, comprehensive services to students, staff, faculty and the general public in our efforts.
The Creative Services team is responsible for meeting these goals through organic deliverables across all platforms. The team works alongside digital marketing, recruitment & admissions advising, and analytics/research teams. The purpose of this role is to utilize product and brand campaigns on social media to drive enrollments, revenue, awareness, leads, and hyper-growth across online communities about UC Berkeley Extension's and UC Berkeley Global's domestic & international initiatives. Ultimately, driving revenue, growth, & facilitating engagement with the community through organic social media engagements while helping shape the future narrative of the UC Berkeley Extension and UC Berkeley Global brands as leaders in Professional Education.
The Social Media Community Manager will drive revenue & enrollments via social media channels. He/she will also be responsible for bolstering organic social traffic, building a large following of brand-fans, and increasing awareness of UC Berkeley Extension and UC Berkeley Global, which in turn will contribute to the overall goal of hyper-growth across channels. The Social Media Community Manager will be responsible for communicating the value of social media channels and their impact on revenue, enrollments and any other target KPIs. The Social Media Community Manager will be responsible for maintenance, scheduling, optimization and reporting for all organic social media marketing platforms. The Social Media Community Manager will also work on a portfolio of programs ranging from short academic programs to full-time and part-time professional certificates with a focus on implementing, maintaining and optimizing organic content as well as facilitation of community engagement campaigns on all social platforms.
- Manages comprehensive communications programs, including written, visual, digital, and electronic communications.
- Under general supervision, builds and manage social media profiles and presence, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, WeChat and potentially additional channels (Snapchat, Vine, etc.).
- Advises and consults with departmental / college administration regarding all aspects of communications including developing strong communications strategies that effectively deliver the desired message, policy interpretation, and problem resolution.
- Work alongside content producers and event marketers to distribute content that educates and entertains our audiences that are specific to our various personas in order to increase brand awareness and loyalty.
- Listen and engage in relevant social discussions about our brands, competitors and/or industry, including timely communications with customers, brand-new audiences and alumni.
- Identifies specific communications needs and develops the content and process for organizational improvements.
- Ensures production of high quality products that effectively deliver the desired message within budget and time constraints.
- Identify and track KPIs to gauge success and areas of opportunities across all social platforms. This includes growth of consistent, relevant traffic and leads from our social network presence and A/B testing.
- 1-3 years marketing, content and/or social media experience, with a solid understanding of engaging an audience and growing the user base of a product or brand.
- Knowledge of all aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and most appropriate and effective applications.
- Knowledge of or the ability to gain knowledge of the organization, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices, infrastructure, and a strong knowledge of current affairs, and issues in higher education and / or health sciences.
- Solid skills to create, develop, and implement comprehensive long and short term strategic communications plans.
- Knowledge and skills to advise and consult with management to ensure delivery of the desired message to the target and / or broad general audiences.
- Solid written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills.
- Knowledge of location protocols and channels for communication internally and externally.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Knowledge and understanding of technical applications to effectively direct technical staff, or personally perform technical work, including design concepts, various media, and applications.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, 2-year renewable contract position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=18324&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency