Custodian ITracking Code433-262 Job Description
Muskegon Community College, an associate degree-granting institution of higher education, is a center for lifelong learning which provides persons the opportunity to attain their educational goals by offering programs that respond to individual, community, and global needs.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 30, 2021
Typical Hours - 2nd Shift: Monday - Friday 2:00 PM - 11:00 PM or as assigned by supervisor
To maintain a safe, secure, clean and orderly/efficient learning environment in campus buildings and on campus grounds while assisting any and all teams within the department. This position must operate independently while practicing appropriate safety practices and decision making in multiple areas. This individual will be a part of a team responsible for work including but not limited to custodial, grounds, maintenance, and skilled trades.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- A minimum of high school diploma or GED required.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to operate and maintain custodial equipment with a preference for individuals with grounds and maintenance experience as well.
- Demonstrated history of dependability and punctuality.
- Knowledge in proper use of cleaning chemicals, supplies, techniques and equipment.
- Ability to work independently, understand and follow written instructions, and write/generate reports as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation with positive reactions to change and conflict resolution.
- Ability to work as part of a team while maintaining positive interpersonal communication and organizational skills essential along with demonstrated willingness to learn and share new ideas.
- Basic computer skills. Word, Excel, and Outlook experience preferred.
- Demonstrated motivational and problem solving capabilities with a high degree of integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of the College.
- Ability to function at a high caliber and capacity with frequently changing job tasks and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to lift 50 lbs. minimum, and on occasion lift/move up to 80-100 lbs. (Other physical demands and work environment information listed below.)
- Valid Michigan driver’s license and meets the MCC vehicle operator standards.
- Demonstrated use of tact, judgment, and discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability and willingness to upgrade skills including technology or process changes.
- May require different shifts, overtime, and occasional weekend hours.
- Perform typical cleaning functions including, but not limited to, sweeping (hand and machine), scrubbing (hand and machine), mopping, floor stripping, waxing, polishing (hand and machine), buffing (machine), vacuuming, window washing, emptying trash in outside waste collectors and container, etc. including reaching overhead.
- Operation and maintenance of machines and equipment used to perform job functions.
- Do set-up, knock-down, clean-up work required by campus activities and special events as assigned.
- Assemble furniture, equipment, change light bulbs and fluorescent tubes, do minor repair work as assigned.
- Report to Supervisor all items requiring skilled maintenance repair; submit requests as required.
- Deliver received goods and parcels to various departments.
- Make off-campus pick-ups and deliveries, including U.S. mail, as instructed.
- Keep assigned area in a neat and orderly condition, also including area outside of assigned area.
- Report all unsafe or potentially dangerous conditions to Supervisor, and any injuries immediately.
- Work effectively and efficiently with other Physical Plant staff and outside contract personnel.
- Perform snow removal work as assigned.
- Participate in all training programs assigned.
- Perform all other duties assigned.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements Include:
☐ Detailed Work
☐ Student Contact
☐ Deadline oriented
☐ Problem Situations
☐ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☐ Emergency Situations
☐ On-call Availability
☐ Continual Interruptions
☒ Working Alone
☐ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
☒ Standing & Walking
☐ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☐ Up to 25 lbs. ☒ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 + lbs.
☒ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending
☒ Climb or Balance
☒ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
☒ Handle or Feel
☒ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒ Talking or hearing
☒ Working Overhead
☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☒ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth Perceptions
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☒ Exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold; and moderate to loud noise levels.
☐ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus locations required.
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff diversity, and is an equal opportunity employer. MCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, political persuasion, disability, height, weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in any of its educational programs, activities or employment. Minorities, women, veterans, and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply. Anyone with a disability will be reasonably accommodated by the College. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance in applying for this position, please contact the Human Resources Office.
Job Location Muskegon, Michigan, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular